Franz Ferdinand review by Franz Ferdinand

• Released: Feb 9, 2004
Franz Ferdinand: Franz Ferdinand

Franz Ferdinand are incredible. Buy this now. Catchy, fun, dorky, emotional: high, emotional: low. Alex Kapranos has an incredible voice, very suited to the music. These guys are original, inspirational, and they stand alone in these times of Pop Idol pap. Very sharp sound, with no pretentious noodling. Although it sounds immediate in style, this album is a grower. You'll be chiming and stamping your foot along to "Michael" in a few listens, not to mention "Take Me Out" "The Dark Of The Matinee" and "Darts Of Pleasure." Give it a few weeks and you'll be screaming along. Simply incredible. (The only minor letdowns of the album are "Cheating On You" and "This Fire" but after a while even those will have you going, despite their monotony...)

Yep, the lyrics are spot on. Mostly little stories about tension of sorts, which goes well with the angularity of the music. Alex can sing really well, and his voice ranges from velvet to thorns and back again. The two songs I mentioned above are the only lyrical downpoints, as they are repetitive and although "This Fire" makes sense in terms of sexual tension, I think "Cheating On You" is frankly lyrically crummy. But don't let that put you off as the rest of the album is unmissable!

It's better than anything this year. Absolutely. I think all the songs (except those mentioned above) are fantastisch but the best of the best in my opinion, are: Take Me Out, The Dark Of The Matinee, Auf Achse ("On The Axle"), Darts Of Pleasure, Michael, and The Fabulous 40 Feet. If I this CD lost I would kick myself and cry and cry (not least because I have the inlay signed!) and then I would buy it again. If it were stolen I would do the same, except if I found who stole it, I would skin them alive.