Franz Ferdinand review by Franz Ferdinand

• Released: Feb 9, 2004
Franz Ferdinand: Franz Ferdinand

The album starts of with what appears to be a slow song (with silly lyrics), however the second the bass kicks in, the album improves dramatically. A majority of the songs are fast paced and very, very catchy. Even as I write this, I am humming the guitar to Take me out. The sound is infectious and never gets old. Even some of the songs that I consider average at best keep me singing in the shower. If there are any bad points to make, I would say that the band tend to rely on one good tune being used throughout the whole song. This is what makes fantastic songs such as This Fire and 40' seem slightly repetitive. Really, there is only one song in the whole album that I can safely say I don't like. Cheating on you is a repetitive annoying filler track that can't even be save with a fast pace and catchy tune. A Slash solo couldn't make me like that song.

The album songs range from having really good lyrics (Matinee) to equally bad lyrics (Cheating On You, Come On Home). With many songs, the lyrics don't really matter. Darts of pleasure's (one of the album's high points) lyrics make absolutely no sense when you really listen to them, however the song itself is a fast paced masterpiece that will have you singing along no matter how bad the lyrics get. Alex's (the singer) voice sounds average at best and does not cover a very wide range; however it's the way that he uses his voice that almost makes some of the most absurd lyrics make sense.

Despite buying the album on the clout of two songs (Take Me Out and Matinee), the other songs were surprisingly catchy. Even at the lowest points of the album, I was still tempted to sing along and tap my foot. The high points of the album are Jacqueline, Take Me Out, This Fire, Darts Of Pleasure and I even enjoyed Tell Her Tonight. The lows are Come On Home and Cheating On You. This album is great because of the catchy tunes and occasional great lyrics; however one or two tracks let it down. Despite being a poor and needy student, if I could go back in time I would still shell out twelve quid for such a great album.