Franz Ferdinand review by Franz Ferdinand

• Released: Feb 9, 2004
Franz Ferdinand: Franz Ferdinand

The sound of Franz Ferdinand varies from light singing (the intro to Jaqueline and 40'), to guitar riffs that will get stuck in your head forever. All of songs seem to have the British, Beatles like catchyness and voice. This is one of the first bands that has good guitar, a strange sound, a good voice, and great beats. This isn't emo, no matter how much you want it to be. It's more throwback music and harmonies heard in the Beatles, mixed with modernday drums and guitar/bass. 01. Jacqueline - good all around, nothing special, but nothing crappy. (9/10) 02. Tell Her Tonight - really quirky and throwback. It isn't really my style, but I like the harmonies more than the guitar. The bass is pretty good (9.5/10) 03. Take Me Out - if you avoid the part of the song everyone likes, its a great song. The intro is everything Franz Ferdinand, fun lyrics, good guitar, great beats and a catchy riff before the main song. If it weren't for a repetitive main song, this would be a 10/10, unfortuatley that isn't the case. I give this song a (7.5/10) Great intro. 04. The Dark Of The Matinee - an all around good song, good beats and guitar. Again, the harmonies work well. This song has a good main riff, but doesn't overuse it like Take Me Out. (9/10) 05. Auf Achse - wierd, the most '80s sounding track. A long intro, with some strange synth. lead but still good drums. The chorus is denfinetly the highlight of the songs and the end is good too. (8.5/10) 06. Probably the most mainstream sounding track on the CD. It's nothing special, not even wierd. Just not that good. A decent riff, but the lyrics kill it. (5/10) 07. This Fire - Hands down, one of the best songs on the CD. A mixture of everything good in Franz Ferdinand. A catchy riff, a throwback feel, strong beat, and harmony with the vocals. (10/10) 08. Darts Of Pleasure - just like Jaqueline, nothing special. Pointless lyrics but a fun guitar and great beat that make up for any weakness the lyrics show. Just alright for me, gets wierd at the end. (7.5/10) 09. Michael - good beat, bass and guitar. Just bad lyrics all the way. Just not that good lyrically. (6/10) 10. Come On Home - good guitar and beat. Just not good lyrics, alright harmonies. A decent song for people stuck in the '80s. (8/10) 11. 40' (40 Feet) - best song on the CD, I wish Franz Ferdinand could release an album of songs with the greatness of 40'. This shows off the frontman's voice, with a great riff and strong bass. Wierd lyrics, but this song is the essence of the band. (10/10) When it's good it's good, when it's bad it's bad. But when it comes to the sound of the music and lyrics, I love it.

Good lead vocalist, he has a great voice. It isn't annoying and it has a soft, creepy tone to it. Unlike most of the popular bands today, Franz Ferdinand manages to have strange, catchy lyrics in the midst of the music. Alexander Kapranos and Nicholas McCarthy write the majority of the songs on the album. The lyrics are mostly either meaningless or about love, but not emoish. Some songs have weak lyrics and weak music, not a good pair.

Repetitive style. I've heard some of their other songs, and they are better than what is on this album (with the exception of 40'). I love the music. The guitar and bass are never reuglar, it's always unique. The beats are great and the music to the vocals and harmonies are really good. Franz Ferdinand has a style of repeating riffs over and over (Take Me Out). Overall it is a great album from a musicians standpoint, but it depends on the listener. If I lost the album, I'd probably buy it again. If you don't want to spend 10 bucks, download 40' and any other songs that sound interesting.