Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action Review

Franz Ferdinand: Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action
Released: Aug 26, 2013
Genre: Indie Rock, Post-Punk Revival, New Wave
Label: Domino Records
While they don't necessarily bring something new to the table, they bring their signature sound back with some serious gusto.
 8.6
 8.4
 8.8
Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action Featured review by: UG Team, on august 28, 2013

Sound: Franz Ferdinand was formed in or around 2002 and has maintained their original lineup to date. Their debut self-titled album released in 2004, having already received a lot of buzz for their lead single "Take Me Out." The band started work on their second album very shortly after this, releasing "You Could Have It So Much Better" just one year later in 2005. By the point their second album released they were considered one of the hottest "indie" bands active at the time. Their third album, "Tonight: Franz Ferdinand," wasn't released until 4 years later in 2009. At this point, while some of the hype for the band had died down, they still retained a strong fan base internationally. Well, it is 4 years later and we have a new album once again, this time titled "Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action."

The album has 10 tracks and clocks in at around 35 minutes, and is being released by Domino Records. The album as a whole has a lot of "bounce" to it, and for the most part remains high energy. The album opens up with the track "Right Action," which is carried by a catchy guitar riff and good vocal hook. The next track up is "Evil Eye" which has an almost Queen vibe to it, maybe with a touch of "Thriller" mixed in. "Love Illumination" was probably my least favorite track on my first listen to the album, but it grew on me pretty quick and has a fuzzed out blues vibe to it with interesting stuff going on with the guitar and keyboard. The track "Fresh Strawberries" makes a lot of use out of vocal harmony and reminds me of old school pop music like from around the '60s and '70s. The track "Treason! Animals." is very high energy and in a lot of ways reminds me of some of the more upbeat '80s music. "Brief Encounters" starts out with some interesting keyboard that almost has a theremin vibe to it in the intro, but builds to an interesting groove with a guiro and an infectious guitar melody. The album closes out with "Goodbye Lovers & Friends," which was absolutely my favorite track on the album. It definitely has the most going on from a compositional standpoint, even using some background chanting. // 8

Lyrics: Alex Kapranos has always reminded me of a lot of the '80s new wave vocalists, and that is especially true on this release. This isn't a problem for me, because new wave music happens to be my guilty pleasure genre, and maybe that is the only reason I make that connection in my head. Nick and Paul both provide backing vocals and they do a solid job. Honestly, I can't think of anything negative to say about the vocals they do an excellent job fitting with the music. As an example of the lyrics, here are some from the track "Love Illumination": "When you're happy from a dream/ Is it hard to work out what is real/ Is the real over there/ More vivid than here ever feels/ We could love, we could love you/ If you need somebody to love you/ While you're looking for somebody to love/ Sweet love illumination/ Sweet, sweet love elevation/ Outside, fresh other side/ But inside love, you will be alright/ Sweet love illumination/ Sweet, sweet love celebration/ Got covered, reason term/ But it'll bring you up/ You will be alright/ It's a black pool, bright light/ Brighter than the light in your home/ Well, you want to be loved/ But nobody else seems to know/ We could love, we could love you/ If you need somebody to love you/ While you're looking for somebody to love." // 8

Overall Impression: In my mind I think of Franz Ferdinand as an "art school" band, though I'm actually not sure if the members went to art school or not. The reason for this is their musical composition, lyrics, music videos and album artwork all have a quality to them that I connect with that scene. Other bands that fall into that category to me are Death Grips, The Who and Blur. All of these bands seem to write music that is both unusual but seems to grow on you very quickly. The same can absolutely be said for this album. My favorite track on the album is definitely "Goodbye Lovers & Friends," with my next favorites being the first two on the album, "Right Action" and "Evil Eye." There were no songs I disliked on the album, and I seem to like it better with each listen. The album as a whole manages to be upbeat without being overwhelmingly upbeat, and honestly seems like it will appeal to casual listeners as much as to established Franz Ferdinand fans. While there aren't any standout tracks as strong as their first two albums, the songs as a whole are stronger. // 8

- Brandon East (c) 2013

Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action Reviewed by: Country Bass, on december 26, 2014

Sound: Franz Ferdinand, the Scottish rockers from Glasgow have made themselves well known in the music industry with a career dominated by hits such as "No You Girls," "Take Me Out," "Do You Want To" & "Dark of the Matinee." They have been known to be as an exciting live act, creating a spectacularly high-energy performance. This met with catchy, dance-rock songs that get everyone moving has made the band extremely well known for their concerts, festival performances and magnificent chemistry both on stage and in the studio.

Franz Ferdinand's 2013 release "Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action" reached #1 on the UK Independent Albums Charts and reached the top 10 on 14 other major music charts. It is an extremely danceable album with most of the songs having a fun-danceable feel to them that gets the listeners moving to the tracks. Their dance-rock sound that they have been known for has continued through into this album. The songs may not quite have the rawness of some of the tracks on their previous albums, with tracks like "Fresh Strawberries" & "Treason! Animals," seeming more mainstream pop than the hard rocking-dance tracks of "Do You Want To" and "What She Came For" off their earlier releases.

In saying this, the album is still extremely catchy and danceable with the classic Franz Ferdinand sound still remaining on the majority of the albums tracks. Songs like "Love Illumination," "Right Action" & "Evil Eye" capture the dance-rock experience that fans hope to see in Franz Ferdinand. "Love Illumination" in particular, seems to be one of the bands best songs to date. With catchy riffs, a great hook and an interesting use of a brass section, which hasn't been seen in their music before. The albums later tracks like "The Universe Expanded" & "Brief Encounters" don't seem work like the past releases of Franz Ferdinand, where although good songs, the tracks don't seem to work like the albums other tracks. This results in a sort of decline in the album, where it opens strongly with extremely dancy tracks like "Right Action" & "Love Illumination," then as the album progresses past the half-way point the album seems to lose it's edge. Tracks like "Goodbye Lovers & Friends" & "Brief Encounters" don't seem to fit right with this band. Although there are still well put together lyrically and instrumentally, the songs don't meet the stature of the singles off the album. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, the album is fairly strong, with the classic style of lyrics seen on all their albums being evident in the albums 12 songs. However in putting this album together, and listening to this album it seems that the album is no-where near an attempt to regain the popularity of their past albums. The album seems to be a direct and clear change for a more modern, mainstream, pop Franz Ferdinand. This may cause a bit of argument amongst fans, but I assure you, the change is good. Tracks like "Love Illumination" and "Right Action" keep the old fans hooked on the movement, whilst tracks like "Stand on the Horizon," "Treason! Animals" and "Bullet" show a new edge to the dance-rock craze that has formed from the success of UK rock bands like Franz Ferdinand and Arctic Monkeys over the past decade. The new change to more mainstream pop hits has also found the creation of slower dance tracks on the album. Tracks such as "The Universe Expanded" show a slower feel to Franz Ferdinand. All tracks on this album are extremely well put together and show many different sides to the new Franz Ferdinand feel. // 8

Overall Impression: "Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action" is an extremely well put together album, it is danceable, fun, catchy and classic Franz Ferdinand. The album is filled with spectacular hooks and riffs. The album shows a new turn to the band's music with less guitar orientated tracks that focus more on the catchy feel of the song and the what the song is saying rather than being big, high-energy rock tracks. All up, a great album by one of the UK leading rock bands of the 2000s.

Standout tracks: "Love Illumination," "Evil Eye," "Right Action," "Bullet," "Stand on the Horizon." // 9

Comments