Legend Of The Shadowking review by Freedom Call

• Released: Jan 29, 2010
Freedom Call: Legend Of The Shadowking

Freedom Call is a extremely cheesy power metal band, but on this album they have tried to be cheesy, dark, sad and even tried to have one "rock 'n' roll" song in it. It's about the lives and times of a king called ludvig living in the late 1800s. Freedom Call is in some way what the flamers want DragonForce to be. Not so very technical, nor shreddy, and so on. If you like cheesy power metal, check it out. The only drag-down is the guitar sound on Tears Of Babylon.

Chris Bay masters a lot of different singing styles, from dark and creepy, to happy and cheesy. Most of the other musicans in the band are also great singers, which make realistic sounding choirs. I think one of them is capable of growling, but that's only used in a song on one of their earlier albums.

01. Out Of The Ruins: is an extremely cheesy hopeful song that made me wanting to replay it over and over. 10/10. 02. Thunder Gods: awesome song with some interesting parts. 10/10. 03. Tears Of Babylon: is quite good, the rhytm guitar sound sucks sometimes, but the song is a masterpiece. It tries to be like Land Of Light from the album, Eternity. 10/10. 04. Merlin - Legend Of The Past: is a quite cheesy song, the only thing i hate is the intro thing. 9/10 05. Resurrection Day: It has a nice vocal-only intro, great riffs and an interesting chorus. 10/10 06. Under The Spell Of The Moon: is a good song, but not really a power metal song. 7/10. 07. Dark Obsession: this is a good dark-sounding Kamelot-like song, but the first 31 seconds of the intro sucks. 8/10. 08. The Darkness: this song is not what to expect from Freedom Call, but it's an OK song. 6/10 09. Remember: is a good song, nothing to complain about. 10/10 10. Ludwig II. - Prologue: is an awesome short song that sounds a bit like a mix between Freedom Call and Rammstein, and it's on german, the ending is like an awesome buildup for the next song. 10/10. 11. The Darkness: great song with many interesting and cheesy parts. 10/10 12. Merlin - Requem: it's simply beutiful and sad. With the same cheesy chorus like the other Merlin song, but in a completely different mood. 10/10. 13. Kingdom Of Madness: Freedom Call attempting rock n roll, amazing. 10/10 14. Perfect Dsy: sounds a bit arrogant, but all in all an awesome song about a perfect day in your life. 10/10 After Eternity, Freedom Call has really released 2 mediocre albums, but this is some kind of ressurection, but there's still a way to go before they're back on Eternity standards. If it were stolen/lost, who the hell steals albums?! Anyways, I'd kill him/her stealing it.

Jaxter1
    metalrocker09
    Freedom Call is amazing, Legend Of The Shadowking is amazing just like all the other albums. It is not cheesy just cool.
    andresderis
    perfect album , nothing to complain about ...and totally disagree about Merlin , while the intro isn't the best one, it's a true FC intro....and prechorus and chorus ...c'mon , the best shit ever ive heard from FC (even more than island of dreams) i've tracked this band years ago and besides their downs like Dimensions....sorry about my english
    Invisible God
    This review sucked...how can you type the word "cheesy" so many times is beyond me and is also annoying, we get it!
    GisleAune
    That review was bad, it was my first try, i hope this get burried soon...
    Connah
    GisleAune wrote: Check out Land Of Light and Warriors...CHEESECAKE!!!
    we are warriors, born from the light! an army for freedom, defenders of life!! yeee bro
    TromboneThunder
    Jaxter1 wrote: Honestly this was a horribly written article, far too redundant. That aside, the band is kind of cheesy but when is power metal not cheesy? It's a strange mix between heavy metal and 80s hair rock. Some people like it though and the guitar can often be quite impressive so I really have no arguments with their music other than it isn't my style.
    Agree about the article. Not much insight beyond the genre.... Power metal is about cheesy. It's about dragons and templars and sitting around in some dude's basement with 20-sided dice (or at least, what you'd like to think you're doing at the time.) And largely about how awesome that is. The music can be fairly complex, in some cases, but it must remain epic. The one thing you're not allowed to do is take yourself too seriously (especially lyrics.) So repeating "cheesy" every other sentence says nothing but the fact that this is, in fact, a power metal band. And there's very little about the music in this review beyond that. That's what makes a band good or bad, if you took away the cheesy lyrics and a bit of the feel, power metal bands would fall into several other genres. So talk about the music .
    EpiExplorer
    It was meh. I'm more of a prog/power person, Symphony X, Pagans Mind, Communic etc. But stuff like this isbnt my thing, except Wintersun.
    Balmazer
    GisleAune
    acruler wrote: I like power metal and have never heard of this band till now there not cheesy there power metal they remind me a lot of hammerfall dragonforce is cheesy and crappy check them out if you've nvr heard them before
    Check out Land Of Light and Warriors...CHEESECAKE!!!
    GisleAune
    Prexidozz wrote: You seriously need to listen the album again. And then listen to Stairway To Fairyland, Eternity, Cristal Empire and even Dimensions. I mean : Where the f*** the happy metal FC we were used to listen is gone ? At least Out of the ruins, Thunder God, Resurrection Day and Kingdom of madness are true FC songs in my opinion, but the remaining songs ? I switch sorry. Of course Legend of the shadowking doesn't really sound happy : the band tried to aboard a dark story, I can't say anything but " yay go on guyz " as the big FC fan i am, don't you think ? There's no way testing new materials may be a bad way. But your rating my friend seems to be a little bit "cheesy" too.
    It's my first review, becasue there was no Freedom Call on UG. I didn't realise that this was going on the front page lol.
    acruler
    Prexidozz
    GisleAune
    Balmazer wrote: "Freedom Call is in some way what the flamers want DragonForce" I'm pretty sure power metallers just want DragonForce to stop setting an image for the rest of power metal.
    Yeah, that, but Freedom Call is like how DragonForce would sound like if they obeyed the flamers.
    GisleAune
    the_heretic wrote: You make the word cheesy sound like something positive. ... at least you try to.
    ...matter of tastes. Soem like cheesy power metal, some don't
    metalrocker09