All Hail The End review by Freya

• Released: Jan 19, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Freya: All Hail The End

Freya features Karl Buechner of Earth Crisis fame on vocals. But that's about where the similarities cease between the two bands. While Earth Crisis exists as a vehicle to further the message of animal rights, veganism and the straight edge movement, Freya are much more subtle in their lyrical approach, which lets the music take center stage. Album kickstarted The Light That Rivaled the Sun is as moshy as any Earth Crisis tune, but in a totally different way. There's a thrashier, more European metal influence to All Hail the End and what Freya are doing. The Wanderers has a bit of a Black Sabbath cast to some of the riffs, and there are some melodic touches that aren't normally seen in Buechner's other band. Jeez, I may have started out this review saying that Earth Crisis and Freya don't have much commonality, but I spent much of my time here further proving how different the two bands are. Perhaps I am just trying to hammer home the point that some may not initially get since Earth Crisis can be so polarizing due to their pointed message. Human Demons is a hauntingly chunky, crisp song that sounds influenced by anything in Machine Head's catalogue, but as the song evolves, it takes on a doomy, Crowbar'ian quality and the last minute is flecked with almost Middle Eastern quality. It's an excellent and surprising change of pace. The riffs are faster and relentless throughout most of All Hail The End. The music is nothing if not a little ambitious. Even Labyrinths of the Ant People has a semi-sludgy part here and there!

Buechner has gone on record when promoting All Hail the End to say that he looked at fallen civilizations throughout history. The subject matter/concept definitely lends to the album's moody timbre, and can make you wonder about how man has caused the downfall of man throughout recorded time. But you're going to need a lyric sheet, because Buechner screams his way through the record without making his words easy to understand, so it's a challenge, but given his knack for writing things that provoke thought through all of his bands throughout his career. (There goes that reference to Earth Crisis again! I cannot help myself!) But for the most part, the music and the riffery on All Hail the End take center stage. But do yourself a favour and dig up the lyrics and immerse in them for a hot second. You won't regret it.

If you are expecting music to simply stomp the night away to, think again. Freya are going a more intellectual route. Tough guys need not apply here! All Hail the End demonstrates another dimension of the singer's well-known-in-the-metal-scene personality. There's a lot of headbanging to be done while listening to Iron Locust and Deities of Wrath. So go forth and burst blood vessels in your neck from copious amounts of headbanging.

Twitchy52
    I rather like this album. I'm familiar with Earth Crisis, but I've never heard of this band before. Personally I think they sound closer to Gojira (vocal style) than Mastodon.
    thisHATEinside
    EpiExplorer : [quote]thisHATEinside wrote: What do you mean no one's heard of either band? Earth Crisis is one of the foremost hardcore bands of all time, although not metal. Freya the band I have not heard of, however.
    probably why I havent heard of either, and Freya isnt anything special, a little bit more melodic than Down, but the vocals are too Mastodon-esque[/quote] For one thing, NOTHING can be "too Mastodon-esque," whatever that means... Secondly, you admit that you know nothing about either band, so why do you keep coming back to flame? By the way, you think Dream Theater, Opeth and Symphony X are "intellectual"? Pfft, they're good, but not anywhere close to the most "intellectual," or progressive, which is the actual term. Bands like Cynic and Meshuggah are what you would really call "progressive."
    Panasonic3
    this review was no good. akward sentence lengths and too much talk of earth crisis and of talking about earth crisis. talk about the album more, the essence of the music, in much more detail. will definatly check them out though.
    Hells.Mascot
    EpiExplorer comments on more things than pretty much anyone I can think of... and almost every single one of them is what you would call 'flaming' one thing or another. Maybe he can't help himself. Some case studies have shown douchebaggery to be addictive. And honestly, if you're into this kind of music, you definitely should have heard of Freya by now... or more like 2004. And 'Freya' on Guitar Hero 2 was by The Sword.
    Dregen
    EpiExplorer wrote: espChris93 wrote: wow... great band great album very good live.. pathetic that no one can intelligently comment on it and how has no one ever heard of FREYA?? wtf Just looking for a bitch and a moan or are you being serious? Cuz the bands pretty basic and I'm sure any band that plays at an average 100 beats per minute are pretty good at what they play live. But, attempting to take the piss doesnt really work if you've really got nothing else to say other than 'OH this guys are so ignoraaaant.. omggg, wys no one hearda dis baaaaand, they leik, epicoollll..'
    Well, coming into an album review just to flame doesn't make you any better either, just sayin'. Especially when you really haven't heard of the band before, which just makes you seem more retarded, yeh?
    espChris93
    EpiExplorer
    reelbigfish2020 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Right, considering, no one has heard of EITHER band before, everyone must know, there is not a single song on youtube of this album or band.. I say youtube cuz its bound to have something, but anyway.. When I hear 'Intellectual note' I think Dream Theater, Opeth and Symphony X. But 'Machine head influence' sounds misleading. And a little contradictory, cuz Machine Head are pretty balls to the wall. And 'Amy' never really seemed to explain what sort of metal it is.. From the sound of it, maybe just good ol' Heavy Metal.. but eh. Its like a TV chef resteraunt: Seems like a nice thing to explore, but you're not gonna get anywhere near it. How you gonna judge a band when if haven't even heard them yet? 'Intellectual note' is talking about the content, not the sound, it can sound like anything. And she said what kind of metal, thrashy, chunky, middle eastern, doom. that all describes it pretty well. have you checked out this band?
    You obviously dont read, do you? just look through the comments..
    reelbigfish2020
    thisHATEinside
    EpiExplorer
    Yup, after listening to a few songs, someone has stolen the lead singer from Himsa and replaced Phil Anselmo in Down. So nothing that special guys :s
    EpiExplorer
    Andragon wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: And 'Amy' never really seemed to explain what sort of metal it is... If you would read, sludge and doom metal influences were mentioned in the review. Having said that, categorizing albums in their respective sub-genres is helpful. Visit metal-archives if you don't know.
    That makes a bit more sense now.. also says Black Sabbth, and they more or less started Doom/SLudge with one song..
    Andragon
    Twitchy52
    And instrumentally speaking they are worlds apart from Mastodon. I think Mastodon puts quite a lot more work into the instrumentality of a piece than most metal bands.