A Midnight Organ Fight review by Frightened Rabbit

• Released: Apr 15, 2008
Frightened Rabbit: A Midnight Organ Fight

I don't think there is a better more succinct way to express my feeling for Frightened Rabbit's sophmore album "A Midnight Organ Fight" other than it is probably the most catchiest, emotional, exillerating ride of an album that I have thus experienced during this rollercoaster of a year (2008). Straight out of rainy middle-Scotland, this album conjures sentiments of last years album "Boxer" by The National while also laying out dark brooding sentiments similar to that of Interpol or Brand New. Likewise to these bands, similar ground is tread, such as love that could have been, the follies of religion, social stigmas and of course heartbreak. Admittedly, nothing new as far as this genre of indie folk-infused rock goes, yet somehow this album is able to deliver something fresh and new that is both fun and thought provoking at the same time. From the opening track, you will surely be hooked on the power and viberance these songs contain. Expect big things from Frightened Rabbit in the future.

Firstly, the most admirable thing about the lyrics of Frightened Rabbit is the overtness which Scott Hutchinson sings with his pleasantly-raspy Scottish accent. Having lived there for a long time, it is pleasing to hear a band that is not ashamed to sing with a thick Glasweegian draw. However, more importantly, the lyrics that Hutchinson delivers are superb. From the devisive statements in the opening track "You must be a masochist to love a modern leper/ on his last leg" to the sexually suggestive lyrics "Twist yourself around me/ I need company, I need human heat", you feel that each song is a well crafted poem. Meanwhile, in "Heads Roll Off", Hutchinson comes up with profound thoughts such as "While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to earth". I find myself listening to particular tracks over and over and feeling something more different and dynamic with each time around.

This album is a big step up for Frightened Rabbit. They're previous album "Singing the Greys", although a very well composed album, did receive widespread attention. However, "A Midnight Organ Fight" has the potential to shoot this band into the big leagues. They are presently touring with Death Cab For Cutie on the European leg of their world tour, which is certain to spread the good word of Frightened Rabbit. Though I personally see this album as one of my favourite of 2008 thus far, many may be tired of emotive raw catchiness of this collection of songs which many bands are striving for these days. Yet, the difference in my eyes from other bands in this genre which are held up as "up-and-commers" is that the detached honesty which I feel while listening to this band is unparalleled. Selkirk, Scotland is a far cry from the glitzy glamourfull world bands like Fall Out Boy, Dashboard Confessional, The Kooks or other high profile acts wallow in. As a result, this gives them an edge which is unmatched thus far this year in music. Listening to songs on this album such as "The Twist", "Poke", or "I Feel Better", I just get a sense that this band has their finger on something absolutely missing from MTV and their silly "bands of the week".

Jenky
    amazing scottish band who are oddly bigger in america than theyre hometown...well done you yanks