Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Body Count review by From First to Last

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
From First to Last: Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Body Count

FFTL is a Post-Hardcore band from Florida, their debut is "Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount". The sound is pretty good if your into this type of music but compared to FFTL's peers, they come out as a top tier act, with alot to show why. Sonny Moores distressed vocals pave the instruments forward while Travis' and Matt's guitar work drives the rest and keeps them in line. Drumming is top notch and well focused, never out of place, and not a single beat is missed or off in the slightest. Its impressive considering the complexity of his drumming in comparison to what would be the minimum necessary for the music itself. The one bright, stand out feature in this album, is the vocal melodies layering. One melody in a higher pitch, with 2 or 3 lower ones behind it give a very interesting hyper-melodic hook in nearly every song. Alot of aggression, alot of energy, and alot of melody all in one place is hard to find in this genre, especially this sporadically focused. A great song, and all but one song on this record is just short of perfect, honest, post-hardcore.

The lyrics are probably the least interesting usually in music, but not on this album. All throughout the album Sonny and Matt keep their vocal crosshairs trained on themes of anxiety, anger, and just overall emotional neutrality. But the strange part, is how its delivered. Instead of just bleeding through from one track to the next, the delivery is extremely poetic and witty. Even funny in some circumstances. Yes there are very heavy "Emo" stylings in the words since they are wrapped and doused in metaphors. His voice matches the music spot on, and never out of place. Even on the acoustic ballad "Emily", despite its soft, emotional feel, Sonny manages to belt his full volume voice with utmost precision, even throws a scream in which surprisingly fits as well. Overall Sonny was a great singer with alot of potential before he blew his chords and prior to becoming Skrillex.

In the end, FFTL's debut is very strong, efficient, and cool. Its one of the few gems in the sea of the Emotional music scenes that doesn't bore you after one full rotation. The best songs from the record are of course the hits "Note To Self" and "Ride The Wings Of Pestilence", but also "Secrets Don't Make Friends", "The One Armed Boxer Vs. The Flying Guillotine" and "Featuring Some Of Your Favorite Words". I can't really list any negatives about this album besides that some people may not be into it. I have a digital copy so I guess it can't really be stolen.

jaybrink101
    Relatively speaking, Metal elitists tend to be very derogatory to their emo/punk brethren, especially considering the overlapping fan base in bands like Parkway Drive and Prom Queen - let's look at Parkway briefly. They released KWAS to a mostly Hardcore fanbase, but the emo kids latched onto Gimme A D and Romance is Dead, and Parkway was slammed by the metalheads. Then Horizons came out and suddenly they were hot sh-t with everybody. I find it hilariously ironic a) that Slayer 101 was on this page, and b) criticizes high voices (Maiden, Dio, Rush, Boston, King Diamond...) and recycling riffs. Cos it's not as though Metallica's E-F-G riff has been recycled more times than we can count....