Heroine review by From First to Last

• Released: Mar 21, 2006
From First to Last: Heroine

The overall sound on this disc is miles away from that of their first CD. I can see where one might not go for this different sound, but I love it. Each track has a slight techno-ish sound to it that gives the CD as a whole a very haunting sound. The heavily-distorted guitars and double bass are still there, but more layered. There isn't really a point where the album slows down, like with "Emily" on Dear Diary. I usually don't go for CDs that are completely heavy all the way through, but this one pulls it off very nicely.

There is a lot less screaming on Heroine, and when there is screaming it's blended into the background, such as on "...And We All Have A Hell". Sonny definitely has most of the vocals which, to me, is better than the alternating vocals of the first disc. There are a lot of interesting effects done with Sonny's voice, too, which is another interesting effect.

Heroine is just too different from Dear Diary to compare the two. Both discs are unique and both are very good. I think I'd prefer Heroine of the two just for the fact that it's very unpredictable, with its wide range of effects and sounds. I did not buy this CD because the store was sold out of it and I just couldn't wait, but I will probably buy it as soon as I can. Not everyone will like it, I'm sure, but this could be my new favorite CD for a very long time.

ghostshadow69
    The versitility of the band is astoundinding, their music is for people who like music not a music genre. (e.i. emo/screamo) I agree with sweetooth24, From First To Last isn't just another emo band out of the factory.
    atticus_08
    I believe that from first to last is an awesome band... Just because they strayed far away from their old sound doesn't mean they won't come back to it. I think it has a more computerized sound to it. This could be do to the fact they all live in different cities and send recordings through e-mail to write some material(Thanks to the epitaph dvd for that info). It just sounds like they got more involved in the whole recording process, rather than laying down their tracks individually. Like stated above, they do it for music not a genre...
    Sweetooth24
    It is definetly a more mature sounding album then Dear Diary. I think ross robinson did a comendable job with bringing out their "heavier" sound without merely the use of breakdowns and throaty screams; Something which can be very over used.. Sonny has some very interesting lyrics and the album has a distinct dark feel.. Much more creative, even thought I enjoyed dear diary but lets face it... There is plenty of that pop emo shit out there for 13 year-olds to feast on. I think its a step in the right direction for this band
    WWJacob
    This is my favorite CD ever. I love every song on the CD. They all sound a little differnt. All the instruments are awesome, especially the guitars. Sonny Moores voice is amazing. It is hard to say what my very favorite song on the CD is, but I really like Shame Shame and Afterbirth.