Heroine review by From First to Last

• Released: Mar 21, 2006
From First to Last: Heroine

The sound of this album differs vastly from FFTL's debut, 'Dear Diary...' Since releasing the highly acclaimed debut, they have lost a member, their bassist leaving in an abrupt mannor and posting angry messages up on the bands myspace. No matter though, as from FFTL have hit back harder than ever. They explored a whole new area of music on their second album, and it is a massive step forward for them in my opinion. It is still typical FFTL, you still have the metal licks on guitar, the ambitious structures, insane drums and of course, Sonny's voice. This was a major opinion splitter on the previous album, and while it is still unmistakebly Sonny Moore you can hear singing, his voice has matured somewhat and this has helped to soften his voice, as well as make it stronger. If you hated it first time around, however, this wont change your mind. The general sound of this album can only be described as 'weird'. The band use unobvious melodies, dischordant guitar lines, and aim to create a 'sound'. It is hard to pick out exactly what the band is doing musically, but it all fits beautifully. It is by no means an instantly accessable album, and my first lesson left me thinking 'that was awesome, but I cant remember any of it!' It grows on you however, and there is much to be found beneath the surface.

Sonny's voice is a love it or hate it affair, as is he, himself. Sonny has had to suffer a lot of adoration and hatred as a result of the first album, and his status within the 'scene'. The criticism he has recieved has obviously affected him, and on tracks like 'Waltz Moore' he reveals his true feelings and the inner turmoil he has suffered. Whatever you think of him, you cannot deny that he is wearing his heart on his sleeve. The rest of the lyrics draw heavily from this, but also the scene in general. They almost tell the story of FFLT, and highlight the change in sound that the scene needed, and they delivered. 'Mothersound' is possibly talking about this. The only downside is that these are not the easiest lyrics to relate to for most people, although we can share Sonny's pain.

The album is a massive step in the right direction for FFLT, they have left the scene that made them, and are a better band because of it. The band themselves confessing, 'if we made another Dear Diary, we probably wouldnt still be a band'. Opener 'Mothersound', 'The latest plague', the new single and 'Waltz Moore' are standout tracks for me. But each holds its own virtues. The album is ambitious, and doesnt use obvious hooks, and takes a few listens to fully be appreciated. The only criticisms I can have is that the album perhaps lacks some of the enegry of their debut, the songs being more slow paced and heartfelt. This is a matter of opinion however, and I stongly reccomend you buy it, even if you were not a fan previously. This is an album everyone should own.

Guitaroooo_Man
    I'm suprised no1 has pointed out Wes Borland... From that band EVERYONE hates, Limp Bizkit, Played Bass on this album and plays with them live... "OMG! Everyone hate them now coz Wes plays with them!" Oh yeh, one more thing, wes is officially in the fftl... unlucky.
    irockonguitar
    wtf? i think im gunna have to do a review on this album, its definatly worth a 10, its just so great.