Heroine review by From First to Last

• Released: Mar 21, 2006
From First to Last: Heroine

FFTL have definitely matured since "Dear Diary..." as this album is heavier, darker, and overall much more serious than the previous. Without a doubt, every single musician in that band is talented in his craft. There is a lot of synth used in this album, especially on "Waves Goodbye", which is a complete synthetic mess. It does add an overall moody feel to the album. "Mothersound" opens the album off with a bang, it being the hardest, most powerful song on the album whilst the songs generally get slower as the album progresses ("World War Me" is an exception to this pattern) and "Waltz Moore" hits with another bang. "Heroine", the title track, closes it off nicely and smoothly and compliments "Waltz Moore" really well, giving it a clean touch and supplementing the meaning. "And we All have a Hell"(I know, I'm jumping around) is the catchiest song on the album, and frankly, it's a very kinky portrait with an awesome catch phrase("by morning her soul will be gone, gone, gone, gone"). FFTL have definitely created a completely new sound for themselves with this album.

The lyrics are definitely shallow at times, specific areas include "Waves Goodbye"(breathing is the hardest thing I do) and "Waltz Moore" (and I refuse to meet the world without smearing on makeup with my hair blinding my eyes). "Waltz Moore", although about inner turmoils and self-esteem issues that frankly, everyone has at one point or another in their lives, is the quintessential angsty emo kid anthem, all that needs to be done is it be released as a single(hopefully that does not happen, it's a great song with a meaning to it, no need for emo kids to misinterpret it as making self-loathing/harm cool). "World War Me" is a true portrayal of hardcore anorexics, they may WANT to change but they're desperate, unfortunate, and stuck in the cycle. They are at constant war against themselves, and have ruled their spirit passive. This song could also portray any kind of harmful addiction, or an abusive relationship. There is only screaming in "Mothersound", "The Latest Plague", and "World War Me", no split vocals though, completely Sonny singing. I would give lyrics a 7.5, but this thing doesn't allow for decimals.

Comparing this to FFTL's other album, "Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has a Body Count", I would choose the other one simply because of the more lighthearted approach to that one, it's not something you find that often in emo/post-hardcore music nowadays. They're two completely different albums though, don't expect something similar. "Mothersound" would be my personal favorite song for both the tune and how the lyrics portray changing self to impressing someone as impressing a sound. That brings to light how truly ridiculous doing so really is, whether it be impressing a person or satisfying the norm of a "scene". FFTL definitely brings something new to the table with this album, and although I was dissapointed with parts of this album, FFTL remains one of the greatest bands of all time in my eyes. If it were lost/stolen, I would buy it again if I had the money.

irockonguitar
    FFTL are fecking amazing, personaly, i prefer their very oldest stuff from the 'aesthetic' EP, i think someone should tab that album out for me this album is great, i dont know if i prefer this stuff or their old stuff, the only let downs on this album are 'waves goodbye', and the fact that nobody tabs their songs!! (im far too lazy too)
    HospitalMusic
    i prefer the newer, heavier stuff over their older stuff. notice that their tuning has dropped a step?? :]
    TheRattle§nake
    Ive listend to this Cd more and ive got to say ive grown to like it more than before. I still think the levy is terrible though.
    Xx_Bruce_xX
    Yeah, this cd is different from Dear Diary...but it's still kickass! Alot more emo though, but heavier. I still like this cd alot though, I really like the lyrics on it and the way there written to describe the meaning of it. And is Wes Borland really on FFTL now? I don't think so though...but he was actually pretty good on this cd, went really good with the music style.
    pirate-man13
    this was my first fftl cd, i loved it, i would give this album a huge thumbs up. but then again i didnt rate it so....yaaa
    guitarguy1116
    first off there new cd sucks. its way to diffrent from there other 2. travis doesnt even scream that much anymore. sonnys voice sounds like shit and they use this gay tecno s*** in it. its way to dark from dear diary, and there ep(which i cant thing of the name right now) maybe thats why soony left the band. they werent going anywere with this new sound.
    Killingthecat69
    guitar guy... they don't care what you want they make what they want to make... sonny is the one who suggested the techno sound.. incase any of you heard sonny new stuff... he makes techno music. he was part of the band he made his part in it... get over it.