Heroine review by From First to Last

• Released: Mar 21, 2006
From First to Last: Heroine

this album is totally different from "dear diary" and it's not a bad thing at all. In fact this album blows dear diary out of the water. you can tell that the band had grown so much as musicians over the years just by listening to "mothersound" the guitars are all drop C so you know that they are heavy and unforgiving. the bass on the album(provided by the freaking amazing Wes Borland)also helps in parts(at least where you can hear it)to make the overall sound harder. Derek bloom(the drummer)deserves an award for his amazing skill that shows through every song on this record, I love everything else but the songs would be much less if it weren't for him. The only problem with this album is that it's such a departure from the scene/emo music they did before, dear diary is an amazing album but heroine is sooo much better, even if it sounds nothing like what they have before. Also with this album it sounds like there were problems with the production and engineering because some songs are much louder than others and there will be parts where the vocals and drums drown out the guitars, which is a shame because the guitars are amazing, also you can tell the amazing songs from the filler, songs like "world war me" and "waltz moore" are so bad it sounds like the band was just like f@#k it and put them on the album. But on the other band songs like "mothersound" and "the levy" show the heavy and angry side that makes the album catch you by the balls. The last song on the disk "heroine" is so amazing in it's depth that it's hard to believe that a song like this ever could be created. amazing growth from dear diary is what makes this disk my favorite.

The lyrics are amazing, matt good(the guitar player)did an amazing job writing angry lyrics that still show a soft side that will please older fans but still catch the attention of everyone else. the vocal style of sonny moore help to set this disk out from every other post hardcore band out there today. there are parts of the lyrics and vocals that are so terrible though, parts where sonny is going way too high almost to ear shattering female sounding terribleness. Plus there are songs like "waltz moore" that you can tell are just trying to please the 13 year old girls out there that only come because of sonny moore(and you can tell this song was written by him just because it's so amazingly bad) the screams on this record and the back up vocals(mostly provided by 2nd guitar player travis richter) are amazing, and if it weren't for him, the vocals of some songs wouldn't be good.

Overall this album is amazing, despite it's problems this album is amazing, much better than dear diary, I wish that From First to last would have stuck with this heavy hardcore sound for at least another album, that's how amazing they are at doing the dark hardcore heavy crunchy music. Just about every song on this album is great, but "mothersound" "the levy" and the drop dead amazing "heroine" make this album amazing, setting it apart from crappy bands like escape the fate, blessthefall, and bring me the horizon and even sets them apart from their old scene emo music past. I would buy this album again if it got stolen or lost, I wouldn't have to think about it twice. I love this album, if there is any album you buy of from first to last, make sure it's this one.