California Crossing review by Fu Manchu

• Released: Oct 23, 2001
Fu Manchu: California Crossing

The later Fu Manchu sound isn't nearly as dirt as the sound on In Search Of... but it does not lose any place on the awesomeness charts. The extreme fuzz directed to the listener is absolutely mind blowing and is a good sound to play riffs with. I appreciate the fact that the bassist does not just play what correlates to the guitar part but is unique in its play. One of the more clever things the band did was on Separate Kingdom when they did a measure of 6/4 then two of 4/4 as the main riff. That shows uniquety in the band.

The lyrics are not the absolute most interesting in the world but they have very strong presence throughout the songs. There are anthematic battle cries, dirgy lyrics and fast paced party-ish sounds giving the album multiple kinds of feel. Scott is a very good vocalist for this genre of music because anything that doesn't sound slightly stoned just wouldn't fit in. I like the way the vocal track is doubled throughout. This gives the vocals a more chorusy sound.

This is fabulous CD to start with if you are starting to get into Fu Manchu or stoner metal for that matter. This is definately a fuzz rock classic with only a few things that didn't quite go right. Minor things, but apparent. First of all, a ballad or slower song would have been nice instead of everything being in a pentatonic key. Second, after Squash That Fly, the songs don't stick in my head as much as I would like. Other than that, this album is fabulous.

opiate-
    This is the album which got me listening to stoner. After for about seven or six years later I still love it.