We Must Obey review by Fu Manchu

• Released: Feb 20, 2007
Fu Manchu: We Must Obey

Fu Manchu have been developing their sound for 12 years up until this album came out. On We Must Obey, the band brings forth a new drummer and they put together some of the best riffs they have evr come up with. The blistering title and opening track We Must Obey comes out at you with a demented-sounding bendy riff at the beginning then turns more traditional and reminiscent of the song California Crossing. Then there's the anthematic battle cry of Let Me Out along with other riffage anthems like Knew It All Along, and the gigantic Hung Out to Dry. Along with these new cuts the band tackles the Cars' Moving In Stereo, just one of their many covers including Godzilla. While We Must Obeyis one of the bands best colections of riffs, it lacks the traditional Fu Manchu sound that is so prominent on California Crossing.

Scott Hill's performance on We Must Obey is one of the best of his career so far and it will be very difficult for him to top. Scott displays his vocal variety and singing talent much more on this record than on albums such as In Search Of... , or Kings of the Road. There are a lot of different vocal sytles Scott uses to convey his feeling sfor whatever on this record such as in Let Me Out. His best performance was still on California Crossing, but We Must Obey marks a high point in the lyrical and vocal career of Mr. Scott Hill.

Start the Machine is a good album to follow with something like this. Both album are very similar but not so that it feels like you are getting the same thing all over again. This CD explores territory that the band seem to have kind of avoided but the ending result was an excellent record. The top songs are We Must Obey, Hung Out To Dry, Let Me Out, and Knew It All Along. It has been awhile since this album was put out so hopefully we will see a new record from this band in 2009.