Angels & Devils review by Fuel

• Released: Aug 7, 2007
Fuel: Angels & Devils

Spending four years in the making, line-up changes, and personal issues, Fuel delivers one of their strongest, if not, their strongest performance ever. The sound of this record is mind blowing. Most of the songs have an alternative type of feel to them, but still stay true to what Fuel have produced in the past. The album opens up with the hard-rocking, Gone, and it only gets better from there. I should Have Told You, brings back shades of, Hemorrhage, while, Forever, reveals a much more aggressive side to Fuel, and is the first Fuel song to have swearing in it. Wasted Time (G-Mix), and, Leave the Memories Alone, are the two lightest tracks on the album and are songs that many can relate to. "Wasted Time," also features the drum tracks of Tommy Lee. Mess is the first Fuel intermission type song, which basically introduces one of the records standouts, Not This Time. Scars in the Making has a, Running Away, feel to it, and, Hangin' Round generates a pop-rock sort of tone. Again, is a slow, hard-rocking track, which has a similar sound to that of, These Things, it also has a killer solo through out the final chorus and outro. Halos of the Son, is the best track on the record. It's a hard-hitting, adrenaline rush, and displays the music talents of the new front man, Toryn Green, bassist, Jeff Abercrombie, and Ryan Giles. Angels Take a Soul, has an eerie sound to it, and then breaks out into a heavier version of, These Things. Just like, Again, this track has a killer solo in it, similar to that of the one in, Sunburn. Wasted Time (S-Mix), is a more melodious version of the, (G-Mix). All-in-all, this record has a similar sound tho that of, Natural Selection. This record has its dark tracks, such as, Gone, Again, Halos of the Son, and, Angels Take a Soul. The record also has a few old school Fuel type songs such as, Wasted Time, and, Leave the Memories Alone.

The lyrics of this record, have deep meanings. Gone, for example, talks about how people can influence you to do bad things, and you have to rise above them and make sure they don't influence you any more. I Should Have Told You, talks about regret, and not taking opportunities when they arise. Leave the Memories Alone, talks about, losing the ones you love, and all you have to remember them by are memories. This track has the most moving lyrics on the album. All the songs are written from a personal perspective, and this gives them a lot of depth and feeling. The fusion between music and lyrics is perfect, and Toryn Green produces vocals equivalent to those of Brett Scallions. This album is definitely one of the best written Fuel albums, as far as lyrics are concerned.

Overall I feel that this album was worth waiting four years for. After huge amounts of criticism, Fuel have just silenced all who ever doubted Fuel making it back on their feet. After the controversial departure of drummer, Kevin Miller, then the shock departure of lead singer, Brett Scallions, Toryn Green and Tommy Stewart helped breathe life into a dying, Fuel. I believe that this record will take Fuel to new heights, and will put Fuel on the map, in a way that they've never been. There's not a single bad song on this record. (except for, Mess, obviously.) The standouts include, Gone, I Should Have Told You, Wasted Time, Not This Time, Scars in the Making, Again, Halos of the Son, and Angels Take A Soul. Two things I hated about this record were, the track called, Mess, which isn't even a song, just 12 seconds of nonsense, and the fact that there is swearing on this record. Fuel have never sworn on any of their previous releases, which made them more mature than other rock bands. The thing I love about the record is the darkness some of the songs generate, the killer guitar riffs, and the mind-blowing vocals of Toryn Green. I also love the way I can relate to most of the songs on this record, and the meaning and depth this album has. I'm so glad I found a copy of this album, it wasn't due here for a while, so I was over the moon when I found a copy at a rock store. A great record, and definitely worth taking a look at.