Natural Selection review by Fuel

• Released: Sep 23, 2003
Fuel: Natural Selection

Fuel, what a great frickin band. This CD is no different. I first got Something Like Human and thought that was a great CD but let me tell you this one blows their last two efforts out of the water. When they first hit the scene in '98 with their major label debut, they sounded great. 7 years later they are still absolutely amazing. This is their darkest record to date, which is not a bad thing. Natural Selection has spent almost a month in my CD player and still going strong. Great sounding CD I would recommend it to anyone who likes mainstream rock.

Brett Scallions fails to impress me with the lyrics. Flawless I could not find one song on the album that I did not like or at any point wanted to skip over. Every song has it's own meaning and every song is written with feeling. Brett's vocals are also very pinpoint accurate and are very distinct, you won't hear anything like it today.

Compared to their last two albums this one is definitely their best, not to say their last two were any worse, actually their last two albums, "Something Like Human" and "Sunburn" were very innovative. I love the fact I can keep this CD in my CD player without skipping over any tracks. I love the range that Brett has I love everything about this album. I would not be stupid enough to let this album get stolen. I would buy it again just for the hell of it.

BrokenWingman
    Alternative Metal? Thats the worst genre classification for Fuel. Hard Rock maybe, otherwise just straight up Rock. This album is ****ing amazing. This was actually the first album I owned from Fuel. I'd heard songs like Hemmorrhage, Bad Day, Sunburn, Bittersweet, Shimmer, songs from the other 2 albums. And for some reason i've always been drawn to Fuel's music, this album is much darker than the last two. Not so much as "heavy" but it definetly has a darker atmosphere about it. The solos in "These Things" is absolutely amazing. And as always, Brett Scallions delivers his vocals as good as ever. It's sad to see the band lose their singer and drummer, however I look forward to hearing their new material with their new singer, whoever it may be.