Something Like Human review by Fuel

• Released: Sep 19, 2000
Fuel: Something Like Human

If you're a fan of radio friendly hard rock with catchy hooks and lyrics and scratchy yet emotionally charged vocals, Fuel is exactly what you're looking for. From the angst and bitterness of the chaotic opener "Last Time," to the desperation and heartbroken lyrics of the anthemic "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)", to the simple, mid-tempo "Bad Day", to the Alice in Chains-ish "Down", this album is loaded with 12 underrated modern rock classics.

Almost all the lyrics were written entirely by guitarist Carl Bell. I was a little let down by this, I guess because I'm used to the singer writing all or most of the lyrics. But his lyrics are quite impressive, espcially in the songs "Innocent","Bad Day", "Last Time" and "Empty Spaces." He writes mostly about broken or troubled relationships, sometimes he writes with metaphors and sometimes he's very straight forward. While his subjects may be cliche, they're very well done.

This is a very good alternative rock album. I would recommend it for fans of Nickelback, Creed, Matchbox Twenty, Staind, and Everclear. I love the powerful vocals, which are perfectly blended with the music and lyrics. If lost or stolen, I would replace is immediately.