Casually Dressed & Deep in Conversation review by Funeral for a Friend

• Released: Oct 13, 2003
Funeral for a Friend: Casually Dressed & Deep in Conversation

The sound is amazing. I have always been impressed by the range of riffs and quality melodies FFAF have been able to put out. Every song of theirs I have ever heard has been catchy and left a lasting impression. There is not one bad song on this album, and that's something I rarely have the pleasure of saying nowadays. At times, the music goes a bit punk, or a bit hardcore, but for the most part, the album is classic emo/post-hardcore. Sadly, the re-recordings of older anthems such as "Juneau" are not as good as the more raw sounding original versions. Despite this, the sound is still excellent.

The lyrics can at times be a bit confusing or seem a bit random to the listener, but there are a number of cleverly written lines, that seem to stick in the head. For example, in "Juneau" - "Yet I'm nothing more than a line in your book", and "In your arms, I'm defined". They aren't ground-breaking, but the do the job. Matt Davies has an incredible voice, his every word bleeding sincerity, and drummer Ryan Richards' screams (although toned down for the album, disappointingly) provide excellent support.

I honestly can't recommend this album enough. My only complaint is that of the watering-down of older songs, and the non-inclusion of "The Art of American Football" and "This Year's Most Open Heartbreak". Other than that, it is extremely hard to fault this album. Providing a much-needed answer to the American stream of money-grabbing nu-metal, Funeral for a Friend are, without doubt, the best new British band out there. I have been lucky enough to catch them live, and it was equally as stunning. Standout songs from the album, for me, are "Escape Artists Never Die" (the live performance of this song inducing numerous foul-mouthed attacks on David Blaine from Matt - comical to say the least), "She Drove Me..." and the beautiful "Bend Your Arms to Look like Wings". If you like bands such as Thursday, Thrice or Boysetsfire, as I do, then this album is defintiely for you. Without Question. If you don't, buy it anyway, it'll make my day.