Casually Dressed & Deep in Conversation review by Funeral for a Friend

• Released: Oct 13, 2003
Funeral for a Friend: Casually Dressed & Deep in Conversation

Good, to say the least. I guess I should state firstly that this is a screamo/posthardcore album or whatever. I actually haven't bothered to learn any of their songs yet so I dont know too much about how they get the sound they do, but there is alot there in terms of guitar. The songs dont rely too heavily on just riffs, but more on chords and harmony between the vocals/guitars. There is so much intricate stuff on this album from the guitarists, its a really thick wave of sound on the heavier tracks. Months after you've bought this album you'll still be noticing new little hits and riffs you never paid attention to before, so there'll always be some new part of a song for you to love, meaning you wont get tired of this album quickly. They are the kind of songs that are so seamlesssy put together that you will love them but you will not be able to put your finger on exactly which part/s you love. Oh and some people have described the sound on this album as emo/punk, but I disagree with that, as the songs are far far too complex, and as I said before, they use chords and harmony more than just riffs. So it's not really punk, soundwise.

Again there is alot here lyricwise. By this I mean that they are not the kind of lyrics you will hear for the first time and think 'oh, I know exactly what they're talkin about there'. They are fairly complex, usually with no immediately obvious meaning. Some people would describe these lyrics as a bit random, but I think there is a theme connecting every lyric in each song, so I'd disagree with anyone who believes that. But like I said, there is a lot to the lyrics, which keeps you coming back for more later.

Well, in my opinion the albums sound, and especially the vocals seem similar to those of Lost Prophets, even though some people still think Lost Prophets are nu-metal or pop-metal or something like that. With respect to the emo/screamo/hardcore/post hardcore/emopunk scene, this album stands out, its the best I've heard, certainly from the UK. The best track is 'Bullet Theory', and then after that come 'Rookie Of The Year', 'Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings', and 'Escape Artists Never Die'. The only bad thing I could say about this album is that some of the songs become a bit bland, and tend to drone on a bit, guitarwise. I found this to be true with some of the later songs on the album like 'She Drove Me To Daytime Talevision', and 'Waking Up'. This is probably down to a lack of conventional 'riffs', and maybe too many open chords (I'm not sure about that though because I haven't looked at tab for any of the songs yet). Having said that, its a great album, any fans of bands like lostprophets or taking back sunday will enjoy. Oh and I'd buy it again if I lost it, definitely.