Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation Review

Genre: Rock
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.6
 8.4
Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation Reviewed by: funeralforafrie, on january 14, 2004

Sound: Funeral For A Friend, are a welsh emocore band. Their sound is not particulary unique, but the guitar riff's are cool, the melodic voice of Matt Davies carries a tune like a leaf on the wind, but sometimes this angelic voice turns into a raging scream, which is not out of tune nor over the top. A very musically talented band. Need proof? Listen to Escape Artists Never Die, its got great guitar work, a nice drum beat with some great vocal work. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics on this album are fantastic, straight from the first song "Rookie Of The Year" a heart-felt classic, from the brilliant acoustic "Your Revolution Is A Joke" The lyrics and the music fit together like peas & carrots. // 10

Overall Impression: Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation was one of the best albums of the year in my opinion, within the emo sector not many came near it. All the songs on this album are class, but if I had to pick the best, "Bullet Theory, "Storytelling", "Escape Artists Never Die" and "Novella". The whole CD is faultless, I cant pick up a negative point about it. If it got stolen, I'd definitely buy it again. A must buy for any music lovers! // 10

Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2004

Sound: Everything fits. It goes together. When you listen to Funeral, you just think, this is amazing, well I do, and if you don't then you have no feelings. It strikes me as an album for gettin all your emotions out, or listening to it from someone elses point of view. The lyrics are totally amazing, and the way matt screams, pure fucking greatness (if that even makes sense). Either way, I reccommend this album out of every single cd I own. Though I don't listen to it every hour of every day, its a f--king fantastic album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep and meaningfull. Amazing. There are some particular lyrics that stand out in my mind, like on a track "Waking Up" the lyrics towards the end say, "I'll walk untill my feet are bleeding" and on juno/juneau a part says "and I'm nothing more than a line in your book". I think many teenagers in love or who have crushes can relate to these songs. But anyone can. Its a universal album. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it compares to alot of albums. I have over 200 cd's in my collection (not to be like a boastful twat) and this compares to all of them. I've got like Blink, Lost Prophets, Slipknot, Linkin Park, The Offspring, The Clash, Ramones, stuff like that. Out of all of my cd's I have nothing as deep, meaningfull, romantic, or beutifully lyrical and just pure amazing as this. I love every single song on the album and if it was stolen (which I can imagine it because it's such a good album) then if I had the money I would go out and buy myself 2 copies, one spare in case I lost it or someone else stole it, and copies for all my mates. This album is amazing, if you don't belive me buy it. Don't download the songs, the band deserves credit for making such an amazing album. // 10

Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2005

Sound: Firstly, I just want to say how f--king good is Ryan Richards? For those of you who don't know, he's the drummer, and vocalist. As a drummer myself, I find it hard to keep rhythm, but to sing as well? Some things come eay to some people, but still he is f--king outstanding. Anyway, emo. Their style of music, but having said that, I love the way they tend to make the endings of the song fade out and get somewhat calmer. // 8

Lyrics: Liyricaly, this bnad/album are emo. I mean, all the lyrics are just emotionally relevant and can have such deep and meaningfull representations to some people. I was luckly able to manage to refrain from crying whilst listening to this album, unlike my freinds who all had sheds of tears in their eyes. But the vocals are extremely mind blowing, so much passion. Great. // 10

Overall Impression: It compares in a lot of way to other artists, I haven't come across any band like Funeral For A Friend yet, and I am a big music fan. They are just to unique and original, nobody can put that stamp on a band and make it their own style like funeral can. I love the whole album, I have no reason to hate music this good. If it was lost, or stolen, I would definately buy another one. // 10

Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Sound: About as heavy as a modern band can get, except metal ones. The riffs are just genius and sound like they are really unoriginal, but somehow they are (don't ask if that makes no sense). The guitars work reall well together and have avoided the temptation of solos (solos are great, but wouldn't work with this). // 10

Lyrics: This is the best part. The lyrics are poetry. They mean nothing to me because I don't understand them but somehow I can sing them when I'm down and they really mean something to me because they are so emotional. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, FFAF are one of the few really good band around today, apart from all the old timers that still play. Along with Jet, The Darkness and a few others, they are the only ones that I really really like. This album is genius. Beautiful. // 10

Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation Reviewed by: Rockytoilet, on august 09, 2005

Sound: Emo? No, not emo. Metal? Not really. But metalheads should be satified from the second the opening track "Rookie Of The Year" kicks in. Original at the time of release (at least in the more sucessful areas of rock). It's sold ove 100,000 copies so you know it's gotta be good, right? Tracks vary from the rifftastic "Escape Artists Never Die," the thumping "Bullet Theory," the more conventional "Juneau" and the acoustic "Your Revolution Is A Joke." The main highlight of Funeral For A Friend always has been their two guitars constantly riffing and they hardly let up throughout the album. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics stuffed full of all these underlying meanings and some such. However some may not like Matt Davis's (lead singer) vocals, but they work for everybody I know. Their are also aggression vocals provided by the drummer. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall an amazing album, which I have listended to again and again. Some of the tracks get old after a while and you can sense that this is indeed the bands first album, but they've tried as hard as they can to shake off any EP quality tracks. If I got this album stolen I would buy it again, lay a sophisticated trap full of wires, pullys and welshman and catch the son of a b--ch who stole it. // 10

Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 13, 2003

Sound: To be honest, this is probably one of the best albums I have ever heard. And believe me, you want to hear this band in all there glory! If you are into different types of emo, you should give them a listening to. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics I found in some songs kinda stange but Its original and gives the songs lots of meaning and makes you want to sing along. And matt is a really good singer aswell followed by strong backing vocals which makes the songs sound even better. // 8

Overall Impression: A very talented band. Deserved to win best new band at kerrang. The best songs of the album are pretty much all of them but if I had to chose would be, Rookie Of The Year, Moments Forever Faded, She Drove Me To Daytime Television, Red Is The New Black and Novella. I love the guitars in this album and it has been mixed very well indeed. I cant see it being any better. If I was to lose the album I would deffinately buy it again as its the only album I am listening to right now. I would recommend this to everyone who has a good taste in music, it's worth the money! // 10

Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on november 21, 2003

Sound: The sound is amazing. I have always been impressed by the range of riffs and quality melodies FFAF have been able to put out. Every song of theirs I have ever heard has been catchy and left a lasting impression. There is not one bad song on this album, and that's something I rarely have the pleasure of saying nowadays. At times, the music goes a bit punk, or a bit hardcore, but for the most part, the album is classic emo/post-hardcore. Sadly, the re-recordings of older anthems such as "Juneau" are not as good as the more raw sounding original versions. Despite this, the sound is still excellent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics can at times be a bit confusing or seem a bit random to the listener, but there are a number of cleverly written lines, that seem to stick in the head. For example, in "Juneau" - "Yet I'm nothing more than a line in your book", and "In your arms, I'm defined". They aren't ground-breaking, but the do the job. Matt Davies has an incredible voice, his every word bleeding sincerity, and drummer Ryan Richards' screams (although toned down for the album, disappointingly) provide excellent support. // 10

Overall Impression: I honestly can't recommend this album enough. My only complaint is that of the watering-down of older songs, and the non-inclusion of "The Art of American Football" and "This Year's Most Open Heartbreak". Other than that, it is extremely hard to fault this album. Providing a much-needed answer to the American stream of money-grabbing nu-metal, Funeral for a Friend are, without doubt, the best new British band out there. I have been lucky enough to catch them live, and it was equally as stunning. Standout songs from the album, for me, are "Escape Artists Never Die" (the live performance of this song inducing numerous foul-mouthed attacks on David Blaine from Matt - comical to say the least), "She Drove Me..." and the beautiful "Bend Your Arms to Look like Wings". If you like bands such as Thursday, Thrice or Boysetsfire, as I do, then this album is defintiely for you. Without Question. If you don't, buy it anyway, it'll make my day. // 10

Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation Reviewed by: LiGhTOnEz, on june 28, 2004

Sound: My friend introduced me to this CD. It was like a smack in the face. But a good one. The mixture of screaming of incredible vocals make for one hell of a musical ride. The guitar finds the perfect match for the vocals and the bass isn't hidden. It's out there and is amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics own Jesus. Your Revolution Is A Joke gives me the impression of a anti-bush song. // 10

Overall Impression: There not like everything else on the shelves. It's so raw yet so energetic. It just makes me want to brake all 3 of the lamps in my house. And maybe even kill my pet racoon. I would buy it again if someone would steal it, and then I would buy another to put on my wall. // 10

Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation Reviewed by: scousertommy, on january 11, 2005

Sound: Good, to say the least. I guess I should state firstly that this is a screamo/posthardcore album or whatever. I actually haven't bothered to learn any of their songs yet so I dont know too much about how they get the sound they do, but there is alot there in terms of guitar. The songs dont rely too heavily on just riffs, but more on chords and harmony between the vocals/guitars. There is so much intricate stuff on this album from the guitarists, its a really thick wave of sound on the heavier tracks. Months after you've bought this album you'll still be noticing new little hits and riffs you never paid attention to before, so there'll always be some new part of a song for you to love, meaning you wont get tired of this album quickly. They are the kind of songs that are so seamlesssy put together that you will love them but you will not be able to put your finger on exactly which part/s you love. Oh and some people have described the sound on this album as emo/punk, but I disagree with that, as the songs are far far too complex, and as I said before, they use chords and harmony more than just riffs. So it's not really punk, soundwise. // 10

Lyrics: Again there is alot here lyricwise. By this I mean that they are not the kind of lyrics you will hear for the first time and think 'oh, I know exactly what they're talkin about there'. They are fairly complex, usually with no immediately obvious meaning. Some people would describe these lyrics as a bit random, but I think there is a theme connecting every lyric in each song, so I'd disagree with anyone who believes that. But like I said, there is a lot to the lyrics, which keeps you coming back for more later. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, in my opinion the albums sound, and especially the vocals seem similar to those of Lost Prophets, even though some people still think Lost Prophets are nu-metal or pop-metal or something like that. With respect to the emo/screamo/hardcore/post hardcore/emopunk scene, this album stands out, its the best I've heard, certainly from the UK. The best track is 'Bullet Theory', and then after that come 'Rookie Of The Year', 'Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings', and 'Escape Artists Never Die'. The only bad thing I could say about this album is that some of the songs become a bit bland, and tend to drone on a bit, guitarwise. I found this to be true with some of the later songs on the album like 'She Drove Me To Daytime Talevision', and 'Waking Up'. This is probably down to a lack of conventional 'riffs', and maybe too many open chords (I'm not sure about that though because I haven't looked at tab for any of the songs yet). Having said that, its a great album, any fans of bands like lostprophets or taking back sunday will enjoy. Oh and I'd buy it again if I lost it, definitely. // 10

Comments