Four Ways To Scream Your Name review by Funeral for a Friend

• Released: Jan 1, 2003
Funeral for a Friend: Four Ways To Scream Your Name

Funeral For A Friend are a stunning example of British heavy rock music today. I'd describe it as emocore, but it's a mesh of emo, hardcore, and metal. The lead and rhythm guitars fuse together seemlessly, every single riff belongs exactly where it is placed, it's all locked together perfectly, and sounds exceptional. The drumming is impressive, particularly since the drummer also performs a lot of the vocals in these songs, and the bridge riff from "Open Heartbreak" is one of the nicest riffs I've ever heard.

Some fairly cryptic lyrics, but they all do make sense, and they're very meaningful, as emo really should be. The lyrics interweave with the nature of the guitars very well and fits with the music superbly. The latest single ("Escape Artists Never Die") is on this EP, and my personal favourite Funeral track, "This Year's Most Open Heartbreak", I love the lyrics "Same old songs on a brand new stereo", and "To be the last one who will sing you to sleep". Matt Davies' voice is inspirational, he can switch between aggressive screaming and unfaltering harmonies in a second. The drummer's aggression vocals are great too.

I'd compare Funeral For A Friend to perhaps bands like Thrice and Thursday, however they have a very unique musical style and anyone with an interest should definitely give it a listen. As I've said, my favourite track is the first one, "This Year's Most Open Heartbreak", it has a lot of meaning to me and my girlfriend and it's an inspirational song. I paid 30 for this EP since it's pretty rare these days, if I lost it I'd probably do my best to hunt it out again, although I have all of the other songs on other EPs and the full-length album. Also, the cover is cool, love the cat ^_^