Hours review by Funeral for a Friend

• Released: Jun 13, 2005
Funeral for a Friend: Hours

Funeral For A Friend have always had a unique sound, and this album is no exception. It has a heavy sound to it, it has the softer sounds as well like in the previous album, and the two guitarists continue the same style they've had before. I read in an interveiw that FFAF themselves said they had changed their style, and I can see where. But this is not for the worse, any fan of the old FFAF will love this album just as much. I noticed that they still seem to use the same tunings, drop D flat, and I've noticed in Streetcar the guitar riff has a different style to it than their other music, it sounds happier; and they use finger-tapping. This shows they are trying new things, which is what any good band does. There are no guitar solos, which some musicians may be disappointed; but FFAF have never had them - it doesn't suit their style. But the guitarists are still great at what they do. I particularly like the lead riff in 'Roses For The Dead'. Excellent album, I am not disappointe with the music.

FFAF's lyrics have always got to me. How can a band come up with such powerful and emotional lines like these? FFAF (and Taking Back Sunday and a few others) do this really well, and the lines make you think and stick in your head. This album has done it again. 'I fail to swallow my tongue and I'm still here bleeding'. Matt sings brilliantly like before, and so does bassist/singer Gareth. Drummer Ryan used to do his screaming during the songs, now he doesn't do it as much but he still does, this time only when necessary. This doesnt make me like them any less. FFAF's lyrics are like the bands personal trademarks.

FFAF are an original emocore band, they are set apart from any band, and this album is their latest installment of excellence. I just bought it and already I'm listening to it again. I wish I was going to see them later this month in concert, but it will be worth waiting for their next UK tour. It's hard to choose a single standout track, or a favourite. I just tried but each song is a standout track in its own way - just like the old album and every other song this band have made. I hate the fact that there are only 11 tracks! You just need more by the time you've finished listening, but the band make up for this in every other way. Excellent band, excellent album, I expected nothing less from this album than I got, and in fact I got more (including a free badge hehehe). If it got lost I'd cry (that says a lot about the album) and immediately use my guitar savings to buy a new one. If it was stolen, well, I'd kill every suspect.