Hours review by Funeral for a Friend

• Released: Jun 13, 2005
Funeral for a Friend: Hours

Funeral For A Friend are one of the best british bands around today. Fact. Funeral For A Friend are the best hardcore/emo/punk (kindof a one-off genre, but you know there are other bands like them) band out there. Fact. The only people that come near them are Thrice, who arent exactly easy competition themselves, are they? Their sound is very very good, I love the guitar sound, and Matt Davies voice. Their drummer has some talent too. This album is a great in almost every way. Just class.

The lyrics are great, highlights being Streetcar and History. Monsters has some good lines too. Catciest Lyric: "This tree is dead and cold, this house is not a home" - Recoverty. Maddest Lyric: "Lets scrape our knees on the playground" - Roses For The Dead. Best Lyric: "Archers in your arches, raise your fingers for one last salute" - History.

01. All The Rage - a good way to hit you as soon as you start the album, with Matt Davies coming right in with the vocals. I love the guitars combining in this song, with the lead pulling at your heart-strings while the rhythm hits you in the stomach 10/10. 02. Streetcar - first single, and I was scared when I heard this on the radio, it starts with a phone? But it fits the story of the lyrics, I love the breakdown with the conversation, but it should have more than "I cant feel the same way about you anymore" to it. Great riff, and a very depressing chorus 10/10. 03. Roses For The Dead - the intro guitar reminds me of Muse (which is definitely a good thing). Love the chorus, and I'm sure this would kick ass live (lucky buggers who got Taste Of Chaos tickets) 10/10. 04. Hospitality - that first chord reminds me of Everlong by Foo Fighters, which shows exactly how far FFAF have come (Muse, Foo Fighters). Very good song, lyrically as well 9/10. 05. Drive - kind of a samey song, I like the chorus lyrics though 7/10. 06. Monsters - top-draw emocore from a top-draw emocore band. Catchy, anthemic and just all-round great. Good choice for a single too 10/10. 07. History - this song is the best song of the year. This alone is reason to give FFAF so much credit. Great lyrics, very good video too. Its calm, but puts its message across brilliantly 10/10. 08. Recovery - storming riff going through almost the whole song, amazing ly written. Sweet guitar melody in the chorus too. This song would be an absolute stormer live, and should be their next single (if they release one) 10/10. 09. The End Of Nothing - that intros a bit metal, isn't it? But it soon goes back to what FFAF are so good at, catchy riffs, throbbing vocals and soaring drums. Yeah, this is the heaviest song on the album, it has some random Trivium-style growling scattered around, and some duelling guitars too. That isn't a bad thing, though 9/10. 10. Alvarez - more great double-guitars in this, with an anthemic chorus and a simple-but-effective drum beat going through it. Probably the second-best non-single (behind Recovery) 10/10. 11. Sonny - Linkin Park drumming, strings? Obviously an experimental song, and although it gets better, I hope FFAF dont grow on this song and progress in this direction when they write the follow-up 8/10.