Hours review by Funeral for a Friend

• Released: Jun 13, 2005
Funeral for a Friend: Hours

Funeral for a Friend is one of my favorite bands, they have been for almost 3 years now, and I havent stopped loving their music one bit. Hours is very differint than their previous albums, but its still an amazing effort for their first major label debut. Funeral has been put into the category of screamo/emo genres and to a certain extent, they should be, but Hours takes them out of that scene, while it keeps them in the emo scene with the way they write their lyrics and they way Matt Davies presents them with his vocals. The guitar work is also very very good on all of FFAFs albums, props to Kris and Darren on having some pretty tricky songs.

I like the way that Matt Davies keeps his lyrics simple, yet difficult to understand at points, which may be on purpose because what a lot of bands want you to do is think when you hear or read their lyrics. Some of Matt Davies lyrics are the classic 'emo' label such as the first single, streetcar, where he repeats "I can't feel this way about you anymore" about 5 times, but still a good track. My personal favorites on this album are All The Rage, The End Of Nothing, Recovery, Hospitality, Drive and odly the slow somewhat techno song Sonny. Matt davies also does have a very unique vocal style, while keeping it in the 'emo' sound, he likes to add in odd, almost barnyard animal noises that are actually words. For example, you=hugh, your=hyour. I still think he is a very good singer, but I sometimes laugh at his noises, but they are also welsh, so it could be a bit of an accent, but still, I'm liking it anyway.

They can be compared to bands for differint reasons. Guitar wise, they can be compared to such bands from Alexisonfire to Iron Maiden, and they say a wide variety of influences gives the best music, which is entierly true. If I lost this album, I would get it again, but I would probably go to the UK to get the bonus DVD cause I like my extra shit. But overall, I like this album, I like this band, I like what their doing, and if your reading this and agreeing, you should too.