Memory and Humanity review by Funeral for a Friend

• Released: Oct 13, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Funeral for a Friend: Memory and Humanity

Funeral For a Friend return with Memory And Humanity the bands eagerly awaited return from Tales don't Tell Themselves. They have promised a return to old form of Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation and Hours but sadly it seems that they have forgotten they had even made those albums. Memory And Humanity in short is very simple and this is a huge flaw considering FFaF are well known for their interesting riff's and melody's sadly almost all of these are lacking in this new album. When you listen to this album you'd almost swear that you would have heard it before. It is extremely generic and really apart from or two half decent songs the album fails to deliver. Darran Smith really struggles to live up to any of his previous songs, while you get a song like To Die Like Mouchette, You Can't See The Forest For The Wolves and which have a brilliant riffs and melody's to it you get songs like Rules and Games, Kicking and Screaming and Someday the Fire... which mains riff's are just power chords played with Kris's extremely annoying single note picking. Now power chord riff's are grand songs like Storytelling, Waking Up and Novella have great power chord riff's but what separates them from this is that you have more complex riff's used beside them. In the end you get extremely lazy musicianship here.

Now I'll admit here I'm not a expert when it comes to lyrics so I wont rate them as it would be unfair. Vocals on the other hand are perfect, Matt Davies has been long one of FFAF's main strong points and he delivers yet again, his tone is great and is a high point in what is a very mediocre album. Though he does force his vocals on some songs like Waterfront Dance club and You Can't See The Forest For The Wolves.

Overall this album is a great disappointment if you thought that FFAF would make a record like Casually Dressed or Hours you'll be in for a disappointment. There is a serious lack of what made FFAF appeal to the everyone and a step towards sounding very radio friendly. Now here's were the line has to be drawn, sell out is a word that is over used on UG but sadly it has to be used here as this is big example of a band changing styles completely and forgetting what made them a bloody good band. The counter argument is that oh well they are maturing etc but just listen to a song such as Maybe I am? and you ll relise that this album could of been made by a bunch of 14 year olds. People who didn't like Tales wont like this album at all. Really I wouldn't recommend this album at all unless you like generic music that all sounds the same, their is a serious lack of drive and power in this album and just sounds god damn awful compared to their last 3 albums. Sorry FFAF but your credibility as musicians seems to have run dry with this latest effort.

pigmaggots
    I think that Casually Dressed sounds abit dated now....Hours was never a good album..average at best and the last album, well, i completely lost faith in the band at that point. This albm however, has enough diversity for me to pick it up, i disagree with the review alot. Each to their own.
    Guy101
    I disagree with this review too. I think it's alot better than StevoIRL is giving it credit for. I also disagree with pigmaggots too though, because I loved Hours
    (vince)
    I disagree with the review as well. And agree with Guy101. This album is pretty much what i expected from it, you can tell they went back to their first album but at the same time, it's not a repeat album. And Hours was great.
    StevoIRL
    How is this in anyway like Casually it shares no resemblances to it, this album is bland as hell it contains no memorable moments at all and sounds like a album that 14 year old could make.
    kmilongo
    IMO this album is a big step up from TDTT, but is still no match for Casually Dressed and/or Hours. well, at least they're taking the right direction now, back to their old sound, which is a good thing.
    Guy101
    I agree with kmilongo. I think they've taken elements of all of their past albums and created something fresh here. And while it isn't their best album, they're definately back. One thing that did annoy me was that there are actually a lot of screams on the album but lots of them have been turned down. Listen to Constant Illuminations and in the verses there are lots of screams in the background. That's one of my favourite songs off the new album but it would've been so much better if they'd have turned the screams up.