Tales Don't Tell Themselves review by Funeral for a Friend

• Released: May 14, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 2 Junky
Funeral for a Friend: Tales Don't Tell Themselves

After starting up as a welsh post-hardcore band creating a middle ground, Funeral for a Friend tear up what's gone before and betray old-school fans by taking a 'pop-rock' route. They take experimentation to the extreme, or perhaps they're trying to break into mainstream rock fans so they can fill their overflowing wallets with more dosh. The terms 'post-hardcore' and 'concept album' together do not bode well. And the combination of 'concept' and the total change in sound do not leave a pleasent taste in the mouth.

Matt sings as well as he has done before, but the lyrics have taken the same dire, EMOtional route that the music has. I'm not particularly a lyrics person, but this sounds more whiney than ever, although they do fit the U2/Coldplay sound they've opted for. Don't even go there.

Compared to previous albums, it has been overly dumbed down to catch a wider audience and earn more money for an already enormously popular band. Even other similar artists dare not take the same route that the once kings of british post-hardcore have taken. Rated by many magazines very highly even dubbed 'their best album yet', it will mortify original fans. After a good start, we have been let down. What do I love about it? Nothing. what do I hate? Everything. I wouldn't pick it off the shelf, and I advise true Funeral for a Friend fans to take the same action. They are no longer true FFAF.