Tales Don't Tell Themselves review by Funeral for a Friend

• Released: May 14, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Funeral for a Friend: Tales Don't Tell Themselves

The one thing I will say about this album is that the production is awesome, there's a big orchestral influence in this album, which could've worked very well, but in this case it didn't. The first time I heard these guys they blew me away. Powerful riffs, powerful lyrics and a nice balance between some hard rock and a more chilled emo sound. Seems to me they've totally thrown the hard rock aspect out of the window. When I first started listening to this album I thought I put Bryan Adams in my CD player by mistake, the music is total pop rock. I don't know if they're doing this as a marketing move, trying to build a bigger fan base, or just maturing their sound, but I don't like it at all.

The vocals have always been good and Matthew does a really good job on this album, very unique vocals, I do miss the screaming though. The lyrics to me are a bit too emo, when I listen to a record I want a good balance between feel good songs, emo songs and songs that make you wanna break everything around you. This albums stays on one level, there's not much diversity at all.

All in all I'd say this album was a huge disappointment for me. I couldn't wait to get my hands on this album, when I heard the first song I thought they just wanted to build the album up slowly, when the second song came nothing had changed and by the beginning of the third song I had to press eject. Not that I haven't listened to the whole album but at that moment I couldn't believe what I was hearing! To me by the time you've finished listening to this album you feel depressed and that's not what Funeral for a Friend were before. Well to me at least.

rictazero
    everybody just ****ing chill about them changing their sound. you know what happened? they went to write their new CD and said to themselves "Guys, we're getting older, and I'm just not feeling into this post hardcore sound anymore." And they wrote what they wanted to, matured, thought out songs that go very well with the concept. They GREW UP just like a lot of other people on here should do.
    A monkey
    i love how in the modern music scene everyone who shows any progression in their music is considered a sellout. so to not be a sellout just record and re record the same stuff. imagine if the beatles had done that... yeah its the worst ffaf cd but it still owns a monkey has spoken