Tales Don't Tell Themselves review by Funeral for a Friend

• Released: May 14, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Funeral for a Friend: Tales Don't Tell Themselves

This album seems to be about reinventing the band and trying to break away from the sound that made them what they are. Long gone is the screaming of 'This years most open heartbreak' or the mosh anthem tendencies of 'The art of american football'. Instead replaced with songs like 'One for the Road' and 'Walk Away'. They may be progressing and changing but the change is so drastic. I personally really liked 'Hours' and thought it was a good second album from 'CDADIC'. 'All the rage' was a storming opener and everythin but 'Sonny' was great. This is not the case on this album. Although, I wont take away from the fact the album does sound really good and Matt Davies has never sounded better vocally.

For a concept album the lyrics do work well though I tend to listen to lyrics based on one song, I don't relate them to each other. For example, on the 'The Great Wide Open', Davies sings 'Soul Soldier with your gun held high, Where does the crow fly?' This lyric stands out as part of the concept while flowing with music and painting a good picture. 'All Hands On Deck' is one of the better songs on the album with the instant vocals and guitar working nicely, Davies singin about the sea and storm. I have always been a fan of the lyrics Davies pens, and this album is really no different. I would just prefer them sung with more passion and set to rougher, edgier music.

This is a step back from 'Hours' in my opinion. I feel they found thier sound perfectly on that album, minus some screaming from Ryan. It had the fast, intricate guitar work, good drumming and it contains some of the best material they have written. that's not to say this is a bad record, it is a solid album full of 'good songs'. It just seems like they have changed their target audience and written music to appeal to them. If you want to listen to a song that sums them up, find 'You Want Romance?' and that is what defines them, in my opinion. If this was lost or stolen, I would buy it again purely to keep up my discography and make sure I have all their CDs.