Welcome Home Armageddon review by Funeral for a Friend

• Released: Mar 14, 2011
Funeral for a Friend: Welcome Home Armageddon

Lets get down to it: "This Side of Brightness" - The first intro song that Funeral has ever made, and not too shabby either. A nice melodic piece, who knows if this could have been a whole song of its own, nevertheless, it runs comfortably into 'Old Hymns' and is a great start. "Old Hymns" - Straight away, this provides the evidence of a revitalised Funeral for a Friend. Nice combination of guitar play, and vocals between Matt and Gav. It sounds like a clich but it is a look back on old funeral, and mixing in the new. One of my faves on the album. "Front Row Seats to the End of the World" - Hearing this upon its release, I was impressed but skeptical. Matt's vocals are not his best in this song (still a catchy chorus though), but this is overlooked by Ryan's re-introduction into primary vocal work. Nice bit of guitar as well, keeping it simple and powerful. Not one of the better songs, but still good. "Sixteen" - I'm one of the lucky owners of 'The Young and Defenseless' so hearing this was a delight. A brilliant song, catchy, and some of Kris' and Gav's best work despite it's look of simplicity, and Matt's vocals are amazing in this piece. This song is incredibly catchy and fits in well with the rest of the album. "Aftertaste" - 7 Strings you say, surely not, but indeed they have. A great riffage song and the first time Funeral have moved a way from the classic 'drop C#' tuning for a lower and indeed heavier tone. Despite this it works very well, and with a strong continuing tone from Matt(and Ryan's brief appearances). A tough sounding song, and if your a guitar nut like myself, you'll have fun sussing out its quick riffs. Definitely a song for the musicians. "Spinning Over the Island" - One of the longer songs on the album, and as such has a great deal going on in it. A nice mix of heavy riffs and cleaner tones, with both Ryan and Matt giving themselves a challenge, and you even get a clearer look into the new member of Funeral's (Rich) world, with a good use of Bass harmonics. "Man Alive" - This is Matt's most strenuous song, starting with vocals at a pitch far higher than he has ever produced, it seems at points he's really staining his voice-box, yet it fits into the song pretty well to my surprise, this is also another song where Rich gets to stretch his bass playing. Combined with one of the best Chorus' (however short) on the album, builds a commendable composition. "Owls (Are Watching)" - Building up to the albums release, reviewers have been making this their choice of the album, and although I can't really choose a favourite, it is definitely in the top choices. Starting with a smooth clean sound, this song creates the perfect combination of clean moves, fast riffs in the bridges, and slow, but energetic Chorus' (again great work by Matt and Gav). Overall a fantastic song, such a shame its only 3 Minutes long. "Damned if You Do, Damned if You Don't" - another song off the superb 'Young & Defenseless' E.P. and one of the best pieces of riff work Funeral has ever produced. The speed brings back memories of days with 'the Art of American Football', and it does the album justice. Can't wait for the pits with this song on tour. "Medicated" - This could be considered the slow song of the album, and believe me, with the pace this album goes, it's nice to have one. Rich's bass line line gives the song a great foundation to work on, the vocals are easy going through most sections, and adding a "screaming out" chorus, makes the song all the better. Also if you listen carefully during the clean parts, you can hear the string quartet giving the song just that little more atmosphere. "Broken Foundation" - Possibly the most Powerful song on the entire album. Starting with some incredible double-bass moves from Ryan, while singing joint with Matt and giving it their all. The riffs from Kris and Gav are tight and booming, along with Rich working his ass off on the lower tones, you even get sweet guitar solo from kris, which is indeed a rarity. This is another top of the list songs by Funeral, showing that they haven't just gone back to old ways, they have combined old and new, and it's never sounded better. "Welcome Home Armageddon" - The title song, and a spectacular song to round off the album. This song gives a shout out to their best album 'Casually Dressed...', by going out 'Novella'-style, giving you a strong and fast tone in the first half of the song, and ending in the cleaner tones. Matt's vocals in the final section gives us a dynamic send off, and Gav ending the harmony. This is one hell of a way to end an Album.

This Album has a smooth running mix of lyric subject and sounds, the band have done really well on this one. Songs such as 'Owls (Are Watching)', 'Medicated', 'Sixteen' & the title track 'Welcome Home Armageddon', we get the impression that Matt has put a great deal of emotion into his work, and he specifically puts more expression in his vocalisation, in the lines that have meaning that can relate to its listeners.

I have been listening to this album repeatedly for 2 days, listening to each song in detail (habit of a musician) on a CD streamer on Pledge Music, and to summarise, this album is near perfect. Comparing to Funeral's previous works, its main competitor is 'Casually Dressed...' the album that got them noticed and brought along hundreds of thousands of fans. This album has the capability of bringing thousands more. The album is well produced (both mixing and mastering), the lyrics are well thought out, the guitars are tight, the drums have sped up and even have a progressive style in places. The vocals have been given a good stretch, and with their new bassist putting a little more expression into the mix, it has brought Funeral for a Friend into a new era. As I mentioned above, with favourites like "Broken Foundation', 'Owls (Are Watching)' and 'Sixteen' you can't go wrong, and don't be fooled by 'Front Row Seats...' if you don't like it at first, it does grow on you, and can be very catchy. Overall, a must-have Post Hardcore album and the right step forward by Funeral, and for you already Funeral fans, show it to others! because I'm sure this can bring some different people into the group. Well Done guys, you've made a classic here.

OceansBetweenUs
    Shredin0id
    Well after reading this post I decided to check out the band on youtube. After listening to Medicated on youtube, I can say this a great band. It has a great guitar part and nice vocals. I could even realize some sick bass parts in sections too. Of course nothing about the drums stands out IMO but that's ok since they still work. Thanks for introducing me to these guys. Also, they're not emo. There's no screamo at all and the sound isn't like emo either. Good review my friend.
    MetallicStrat8
    mb889 wrote: guyZ its em0 bcuz of all teh screemo duh!!!!!1!
    your stupid arnt you not all bands that scream are emo, look at as i lay dying not emo metalcore, destroy the runner not emo metalcore, most bands that scream are metalcore like A7X an BFMV, FFAF are post-hardcore, an with what you said ur saying bands like TRUSTcompany and chevelle are emo cause they scream in a lot of thiere songs, no theyre hard rock so get eductaed before you talk
    Patrijz
    jeowy wrote: mentioning the word metal on UG is a surefire way to get any page covered in spam. since theres no recognized scientific or political authority around to provide a crystal-cut definition of "metal", arguing about what is or what isn't is a waste of time. such poorly-defined genre labels cannot operate in such a linear sense.
    This is true.
    jeowy
    mentioning the word metal on UG is a surefire way to get any page covered in spam. since theres no recognised scientific or political authority around to provide a crystal-cut definition of "metal", arguing about what is or what isnt is a waste of time. such poorly-defined genre labels cannot operate in such a linear sense. A more rational analysis would be to say "bullet for my valentine aren't VERY metal", or "bullet for my valentine ARE VERY metal", based on the assumption that absolutely every piece of music ever written or recorded contains some quantity of "metal".
    EpiExplorer
    ShaDoW0lf
    "Like a phoenix from the metaphorical ashes." We know it's a metaphor. Thanks. And it's awful too. Pheonixes don't "evolve", nor do they "gradually get better". They just die, and come back. The darwin link was better, maybe just stick with that. Still working on this album, gotta admit i'm not catching anything that makes me want to buy it outright. maybe a few more repeats and I'll see what the fuss is about.
    BTKA
    OceansBetweenUs wrote: Awesome - I gave up on them after a few non stellar releases that departed from their hardcore roots. Might check this out.
    I with you on this one, may give it a whirl too.
    TheNephelim
    S_L_y dude children of bodom is a death metal band, death metal uses growls,guttural vocals, death grunts, Cookie Monster singing, harsh vocals, unclean vocals,
    Hammerzeit
    Shoegaze wrote: The first review seems kinda fanboy-ish... I'll probably check this out. Wasn't that impressed with their last few releases, I hope this redeems them.
    tobefairlike, I only really got into funeral having been dragged to see them live 2 years ago. Early stuff never really resonated with me.
    Dakkstar
    so I checked it out... it seems to lack what I liked about Funeral. It didn't utilize the fact they have two guitarists. The older releases allowed for both guitarists to play their own thing rather than the wall of sound two guitars one riff thing. The songs are the strongest. If I didn't love this band as much as I do... I probably wouldn't give this album the time of day.
    $hab
    Weird...I found this album overwhelmingly mediocre. I'll have to give it another listen, I suppose. But what I liked about the old FFAF was the epic mood changes they managed to fit in relatively short songs. Everything I heard from this album was very generic and monotonous.
    Shoegaze
    Hammerzeit
    Good_Lord wrote: Screamo is Bullet for My Valentine and Escape the Fate ...
    Bullet are a metal band. The sooner you accept that the better as far as I'm concerned. These guys are only considered emo due to their early material's lyrical content. They've grown up since then. As far as genre goes i'd probably say that this is a good hard rock record with metalcore influences. Post metalcore? You heard it here first...
    camc1214
    I saw "post-hardcore" so I checked it out.....this aint post hardcore. Thanks for wasting my time UG.
    S_L_y
    screamo?... then you would call Chimera, Children Of Bodom and Trivium emo? they don't look like "emos" they look like regular dudes in fact.
    shaddowfist
    Hammerzeit : The band has a population of 5. Personally don't see the problem with my metaphor...
    Haha I'm just nitpicking, it works fine. However, it's an analogy, not a metaphor :]
    S_L_y
    And I just checked on their facebook and the guys aren't emo. Where did you get that idea from?
    S_L_y
    Wow... I really wasn't expecting this! Amazing instrumental. Seriously people, listen to the album! It's insane.
    Dakkstar
    I guess I'll check it out. I was disappointed with their EP, prior to this release... it sounded so cliche, could have listened to any other band and it wouldn't have mattered. I hope this gives me the feelings Casually Dressed and Hours gave me.
    shaddowfist wrote: In Darwinism, populations evolve, not individuals
    Banjocal
    Axeman96 wrote: dont like the emo bands me
    Do you even know what post-hardcore is?
    DiegoAngeles
    Axeman96 wrote: dont like the emo bands me
    ignorant. Other than that, I'll listen the record later. Cheers for FFAF.
    MetallicStrat8
    EpiExplorer wrote: Hammerzeit wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Bullet are a metal band The more you cover it up, the worse the quilt gets. They're still a metal band though. In what way aren't they? And don't say image because that doesn't mean shit. They're more metal than Drowning Pool but less metal than Iron Maiden. And Iron Maiden aren't always accepted as being metal but much less so than BFMV.
    uhmm really u consider maiden more metal than BFMV i mean maiden is a decent metal band from the 80S metal has changed since then by standards now they are more hard rockish er somethin along the lines of pre-new milenia, BFMV is metal all the way how u can say theyre not is stupid, thats like saying A7X er Machiene Head arnt metal,and besides drowning pool is labeled as hard rock