How To Start A Fire review by Further Seems Forever

• Released: Feb 11, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Further Seems Forever: How To Start A Fire

The sound is very complicated, but in a bad way. No one part fits into the other quite right, making soothing a sort of antonym of what you're hearing. The guitar is too background sound in some songs, in some songs it hides the rest of the band. You can't hear the bass at all without straining, and even then you have to be able to differentiate between a bass guitar sound and guitar which many people have trouble with if they're not musically trained in any way. The drums sound sharp and like they belong in a garage band, rather than this excuse for a Emo/Punk hybrid of a band. This album is completely void of any acoustic influence, which would add a lot to the album. The guitar also sounds similar in one song to the other. The band is comprised of Christians and are on the Christian list of safe bands to listen to, therefore I'd personally recommend this cd to a Christian teenage that listens to conservative rock.

The lyrics are wonderful, the lyrics are sweet, heart on sleeve, and sincere. However the music is too hard for the lyrics, the music is by no means hard, but it is hard enough to not go with the soft soothing lyrics. Some soft but total distortion would really do their guitar parts well. The singer is sappy, unskilled by many standards, and sounds like he doesn't know how to keep his lips still while he's singing a word, all of the words a slurred. He sounds very insincere in many ways, but on some songs he can sound good. His weak half screaming tone of voice is his best attribute I'd have to say. But he is a far cry from Further Seems Forever's original singer Chris Carraba, who left to start Dashboard Confessional.

If Further Seems Forever's first album (the moon is down) and this one had to be rated together, The Moon is Down would get a 9. 8, while this one a 6 out of 10. It is so bad compared to their first full album. It was a severe disappointment to buy this cd and find out they've changed so much, it sounds so cringy, nothing is quite right on this album. The most impressive songs of this album would have to be "On Legendary" for it's somewhat sweetness, and "Aurora Borealis in long form, because it's the only song on the album that really relaxes you. There's some synthesized sounds in the background that sound like an Aurora Borealis. I suppose I love the lyrics the most about this album, but the rest of it left me disappointed. Especially Jason compared to Chris. If it were stolen, good riddance I wouldn't buy it again nor worry about it.