G3 Live In Denver [DVD] review by G3

• Released: Feb 24, 2004
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 7
G3: G3 Live In Denver [DVD]

For this tour, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani got together with Yngwie Malmsteen for an all star shred-fest. You would be hard pressed to find a better combination of shredders to play together! On this DVD you will see and hear everything from classic rock to Paganinni like classical music. Malmsteen is at his best during this video and was in my mind, the best of the three.

Content — 9
This DVD featured 3 songs by each guitar player and three G3 jams at the end. The G3 Jams are where all 3 players come on stage and perform a song. This is a live concert DVDs and it has a few little sceines of the players talking to fans and signing autographs. The set list is amazing, but I will let you see it for youself when you watch it.

Production Quality — 7
This is probably the downfall of the DVD. Maybe I just have a lousy copy, but the picture quality and sharpness of the DVD isn't nearly as good as the G3 from Tokyo (Vai, Satch and John Petrucci). At the begining, when the G3 logo comes on, it looks like it was filmed by some fan on his cell phone and later edited on his computer. But the guitar playing more then makes up for the video quality.

The three main reasons to buy this DVD are the G3 jams. Satch, Vai and Yngwie all go onstage together to play 3 songs: Keep on Rockin in the Free World, some song that I forgot the title to and Voodoo Child. They are all amazing and each guitar player sings on one of the songs! If it were stolen, I would hunt whoever stole it down and smash one of my cheap guitars over his head. Oh yeah. And I would take my DVD back.

Yespleasevicar
    I disagreee with Malmsteen being the best there,he has (especially on this dvd) a real big Shut up problem. Theres times where vai is talking to the crowd and he stops cos malmsteens doing the same thing sweepy thingy.By far the least versatile musician of the bunch. Saying that the jam was great, and Little wing was awesome.
    SkinnyWhiteBoy
    wootlooops
    I know you're all knockin on Yngwie here, but that second song he busts into on this CD kicks ass! That first 30-45 seconds of riffing before he busts into his obnoxious, mundane shredding is amazing. Does anyone know the title of that song? The second song Yngwie played is the only clue I can give.
    Gman400
    Batio would suck. Amazing skill but his songs are just horrible other than a couple riffs. I also liked Malmsteen the most, seconded by Vai and way in last comes Satriani IMO. I hate that guy for somre reason.
    Weybl Himself
    Michael Angelo Baito is just a wank, no real melodic structure or feeling, Vai and Satch kick his ass in songwriting and arrangements all day long.
    Ibzman
    Uh rectification for all of you guys here, Satch and Vai ARENT SHREDDERS AT ALL, they play awesome music without the necessity of always do the fastest they can, look at Joe Satriani's "Super Colossal", one of his better cd for sure, and Vai doesn't shred either.
    KissingShadows
    SkinnyWhiteBoy wrote: leander m. wrote: Why not michael angelo batio to the next G3 concert?? Vai and Satch will be overwhelmed by angelo and they will look like little kids on the stage hehehehe..nice song on little wing Micheal Angelo is fast... that's it... and I'd argue that Herman Li of Dragonforce is a better (maybe even faster) shredder than Angelo. Satriani and Vai have the technicality, but also the ability to make it sound great.
    Herman Li isnt at all in a class anywhere near Angelo, who isnt anywhere near Vai/Satch. Angelo is good, Li is ok, but niether have the minds to produce music or the ability to shred as well as Vai/Satch. Maybe someday though...although I highly doubt anyone in the next ten years will be able to match up to Vai/Satch to make a really good G3. I saw Eric Johnson, Vai, and Satch at Satch's LA Concert for Super Col. earlier this month and that wasy insanely badass, but even Johnson doesnt posess the skill required to match them.
    ToesKa
    like vai and satch on this one... malmsteen annoyes me like hell on this dvd... I loved the part in rocking in the free world where they all do a solo, and fist satch sets of a kick ass solo, then malmsteen does his ladders, and with one crying note vai just erases everything malmsteen did before... lovely just lovely
    E-MAN0221
    i love this dvd!!! its my fav G3!!! i like steve and yngwie but i cant stop listening to satriani... by all means my favorite guitarist ever!!! ever since i 1st saw him on this dvd! and by the way Angelo is good, but all his stuff is SO GAY, all you really hear is noise... he is exagratinly to fast... satriani is my fav!
    blade'sedge
    i got this dvd a while back, absolutly awsome, im not sure what this guys on about, the production quality is fine, and for malmsteen being the best of the three, boloks, he really isn't my vote is definately satriani, he's just too cool for his own good. also i loved one of the songs when get a bit of a nice bass solo, it's not quite cliff burton but i loved it. overall awsome really
    DaBlackE
    I havent heard this CD but saw this concert on its opening date in Phoenix. These guys are the 3 best guitarist around. Maybe not the best singers, but the best guitarists.
    Night Revolver
    Eric Johnson in the G3 was awesome ... He's really in a class of his own. Certainly was the best guy so far in GS. Malmsteen was alright. Petrucci was mediocre.
    metalicon
    yeah, it seemed like while vai and satriani were playing along with the song, Malmsteen would constanly do sweep arpeggios just to show off how awesome he is which in my opinion, moderation is the true meaning of genius. As for Michael Angelo Batio, good guitarist but he looks like Nigel Tufnel off of Spinal Tap.
    dimebag7
    yeah i liked malmsteen the best there, then joe. steve vai is good, but he didnt do it for me this time.
    thepagesaretorn
    this is the one w/ the triple necked jem right? anyways...(to leander m.) no. Michael Angelo Batio is not better than Vai.
    leander m.
    koirala
    its a fuuckin gud dvd but special features suck .yingwie sang terrible in voodoo chile they should have made that one better starry night was gud ya n the best was keep in rockin in the free world this is a song baby a ****in gud one
    that1l)ude
    None of the guitarists(Except Petrucci)Mentioned in this thread can write a song thatll keep my attention for over 2 seconds. great guitarits but too showy for their own good