G3 Live In Denver [DVD] review by G3

• Released: Feb 24, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
G3: G3 Live In Denver [DVD]

These 3 guys are arguably the most talented guitarists of all time: Joe Satriani, Steve Vai & Yngwie J. Malmsteen. Basically, I was familiar with all 3 of them before I decided to get the DVD and I did not regret it at all. In fact, I watch it all the time and still get blown away by the performances on there. If you like any of their talents on the guitar, this DVD is definitely for you. Of all of the G3 performances, this one is inarguably the best one, and probably won't be beaten any time soon by another one. Furthermore, the diversity in the sound of this concert is unmatched, from a bluesey/rock-based sound, to some clean jazzy progressions, and of course, Yngwie's signature neo-classical shred.

Content — 10
One of the coolest features of this DVD is the "Fretcam" feature. Basically, each of the guitarists does a song where they play an unaccompanied solo, and has a camera follow the fretboard while they play. Other features include your basic sound options ans so on. These LIVE performances are very well though out, highly improvised and exteremely easy to get into. The set list is excellent, and the CD version even has a different set of tracks so that fans won't get bored of listening & watching the same performance!

Production Quality — 9
Production is immaculate on this DVD, especially considering it's all from a single show. The angles are very well thought out and give a lot of insight. As you could imagine, the concentration is at least 85% on the guitar players so if you're not a guitarist, the DVD won't necessarily be a huge thing for you, but then again if you're not a guitar fan, why else would you be watching this DVD now would you?

This, being the 2nd installment of the G3 series, it obviously destroyed the first all around the block. In my opinion, the Yngwie Malmsteen section is the most entertaining and impressive performance. He has a great stage presence and his chops are unmatched even by Satch and Vai! Furthermore, his set list is just unbelievable and watching him play the first time around compelled me to rewind a lot of his soling sections just to try and get a glipmse of what he was doing. Just the same though, Satriani & Vai both pulled off some mind-boggling passages and solos as well, so fans of either of this trio will be very easily pleased. If someone bothered to steal it or worse, I lost it, I would jump over a cliff just to get another copy!

sinan90
    i think that the vai and malmsteen solos are a bit OTT on little wing, you need somethign simpler to fit the song
    Shreddin 4 Life
    Man, you guys all gotta just shut up and enjoy this DVD for what it is. The musicians are amazing-end of story. Besides, MAB would suck in G3-he'd just be shredding & shredding & shredding non-stop until everyone pukes. Furthermore, if you're not a shred or general soloing fan, get lost because that's what G3 is all about. Also, the production quality obviously won't touch the Tokyo one because the Tokyo G3 came AFTER Denver. And finally, you ALL have to stop being so critical of any of the guitarists mentioned in this commenting section, whether you like them or not, at least 3/4 of any of you will never even be able to scratch the surface of their playing skill and composing abilities, so like I said earlier, just sit back and enjoy some of the greatest guitarists of all time!!!
    Ischi
    Shreddin 4 Life
    Ischi : Anyone who says malmsteen is better than Vai or Satch should be shot, twice, in the foot. Sure, he can play fast, but who wants to listen to neo classical shred, and the same sweep patterns over and over and over and over and over and over and over again
    What's wrong w/ neo-classical shred? U obviously don't know Yngwie outside this DVD cuz he's a lot more versatile than u pass him off to be...