G3 Live In Denver [DVD] review by G3

• Released: Feb 24, 2004
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 6
G3: G3 Live In Denver [DVD]

They were all awesome, No story was attatched to the DVD. Although there was a few minutes of Steve Vai meeting fans and things of that nature. It was all really good bluesy rocky metally music, and Yngwie Malmsteens neoclassical guitar rocked. Steve Vai's 3 necked guitar was amazing, he played an amazing song. Beautiful. One of Steve's best songs ever.

Content — 9
DVD offered subtitles and the whole conceert in one or each artist separatley, or each song separatley. It's a live concertt. Joe Satriani kicked things off with his signature Satch Boogie, which was a great opener because it got the croud on their feet. Then he got out his harmonica and played guitar and harmonica simultaneously in The Extremist, it was an awesome song, he then played a nice melody called Starry Night and then played a classic, Midnight. He finished with The Mystical Potatoe Head Groove Thing. Then Steve Vai came on with a triple necked guitar and played I Know You're Here, it was the best piece of the night. Then he followed it with Juice and I'm The Hell Outta Here. And some others, Yngwie Malmsteens set was incredible but he wasn't as good as the other 2, they all came on at the end and played Little Wing and Voodoo Chile. It was excellent.

Production Quality — 6
Production Quality was decent although no real Techonologies or tricks. But Vai's triple guitar was amazing. And there was an awe-inspiring light show during the concert. Production Quality could only be described as adequate nothing special about it really, it was perfectly fine but nothing really stood out.

It's a great album it is the 2nd best of their concerts. The most impressive thing is the jam at the end featuring Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen, it was the highlight of the DVD. I loved Satriani and Steve's sets, and I didn't hate anything about it, if it was stolen I'd probably buy something else maybe a Satriani concert or Steve Vai on their own.

Bill.x
    Eric Johnson Is By far the best guitarist to play with G3. Althought Satch and Vai are in a complete class of their own. Nobody On the world stage has ever been as technically brilliant as Satch and Vai.
    DTFatesWarningX
    Yngwie bores me. He's too much about speed and not enough about substance. Satch and Vai can play though. Haha, I'm not surprised no one brought up the G3 with Fripp.
    fluffylump2
    this dvd is awesome. it has steve vai doing "Get the Hell Outta Here" which is an amazing song where his whole bands plays each other's instruments. yeah, it's really good.
    mbuu007
    NO the person who should be in g3 next should be paul gilber of marty friedman!
    slv
    Malmsteen played like an ass on this dvd. was completely let down compared to what i had heard about him. steve vai was the best by a mile and he reallly killed it. the best GV3 dvd to buy, G3 Live in Tokyo.
    detranova
    mbuu007 wrote: NO the person who should be in g3 next should be paul gilber of marty friedman!
    I think Friedman actually hopped on stage for G3 in Tokyo, but they weren't able to put that footage on the DVD (or they might just have not recorded it).
    Linus Satriani
    Yeah, I agree with the majority. I dont like yngwie, he is good, very very good but not my style at all. I believe that Vai is the best guitarist in the world technically. But Satch do the best songs. He's amazing. I love everything he does. My fav G3 is with Eric Johnson, going down just blew me away, same thing with Red House. And Johnsons "manhattan" is just amazing.
    Build An Army
    Build An Army
    Build An Army wrote: Yeah i agree totally with 'Linus Satriani', i dont like yngwie that much, he puts no really feeling into the songs he does, he plays fast thats it... Now if Jason Becker was still playing then we would have one hell of a G3 concert with him, Satch and Vai. I cant wait for this years G3 though, its with Gilbert, he is one of the greats in my opinion, so inventive of what he does and what he can do with the guitar is just immense! And i think that the one with Eric Johnson in doing Red House was 1992 (i think)
    My mistake, it was 1997 he played with them
    udy
    First I very like all G3. Mainly Vai and Satch have given me the best. I fan for Yngwie but He is to much playing in a supergroup. He is very strong and there are some scenes where his friends are back. In my opinion Gilbert would be a decent choice.
    I'm a real boy
    this is another fine example of overreacting. the first dude said that if it were stolen, he'd hunt down whoever stole it and smash him over the head with a cheap guitar, if the said situation should arise, just buy another one people.
    jcgmed
    I don't think that players like Batio, Malmsteen and similars would be able to play on G3, the super - virtuoso rol is ok if you are taking technique lessons and similars, but playing on stage is a musical thing. The chromatical crazy runs played by Petrucci were a lot more interesting than the almost-vomitive Malmsteen's sweep picking impros in Rocking In The Free World, and his intro in the central main solo...the same boring whole tone modulation, before a too dirty arpeggio runs and, and, at the end...his golden rolex crashing with the 1st string... Oh yes, Hendryx's Voddo Child was...Vodoo music ( just listen the outro in the main solo...Malmsteen was a thousand light-years away, planning his next dirty speedy vomit ). Maybe if Batio joins G3, the whole jam could be some Nintendo's music, like Mario Bros o Zelda's soundtracks.
    Otnip
    I have to admit something here... Malmsteen's solos were so repetitive and out of place in the G3 Jams I muted my TV every time it was his turn. That guy has the hugest ego, and it annoys the crap out of me the crowd got the most out of his neo classical shred only set list... Satch and Vai were great.
    venom1stas
    You guys who say Batio has no place on g3 are wrong because opinions aside he is one of a kind, whilst most other virtuoso are pretty much the same. It depends, if g3 is about greatest guitarists then yes he has to be there. If g3 is just about listening to good music and melody.. erm I can be there, anyone can play a good melody since most people think anything thats slow is good melody. Put kirk hammet there let him play metallica solos? Or just any random band. Why not, they are melodic? yes Virtuoso? No Virtuosity is not about melody. Composing is about melody. These g3 guys have a good balance of both, batio choses not to compose simular stuff. Because he is unique, he has way more virtuosity in him, why would he waste that away on playing some melody? He offers something unique, and like it or not the fact is if you could shred like MAB, shredding would be the only thing you did.
    Lokki Saints
    "G3 Live in Denver DVD and CD" went platinum because of Malmsteen's guest appearance. No other G3 DVD's or G3 CD's have come close to the sale of G3 Live in Denver. Also G3 with Yngwie tour grossed more than all G3 tours did that featured Johnson, Petrucci and Gilbert. Even though I'm a huge Yngwie fan I will review with an unbiased opinion here. Satriani's performance I thought was boring although some of the songs were his classics off of Sufing with the Alien. His stage presence and his band lacked an image or any real energy which killed it for me. I have seen better shows on a open mic night down the street and I love Joe's music as well as his playing but this is why Malmsteen buried him on this tour. Steve Vai's performance was definitely better than Satriani's admidst his whammy bar tricks and super clean playing. I feel his song selection for this show could have been far better if he had played something off of Passion and Warefare or even Flexible. Regardless, the highight for Vai was the choreographed hand over tapping by himself, McAlpine, Sheehan and Weiner on "I'm The Hell Outta Here which was executed with precision. Next on the list and one of my favorites was Malmsteen. Malmsteen definitely stole the show this evening and it was obvious by the fans reaction and cheers throughout. Taking the stage with a wall of Marshalls behind him Malmsteen and his band Rising Force performed with precisioned tenacity. Malmsteen had such high energy that anyone would take note despite the dislikes of his pompass attitude from time to time. He delivered a blistering performance and the band seethed with a serious rock image and rock show the way they were back in the 80's. Opening his set with the classic Evil Eye and finishing with Far Beyond the Sun Malmsteen, was everything short of a gymnast doing summersaults. His acoustic solo in the middle of the set was a nice little improv with no sense of direction other than showing us some of his old licks but it was catchy nonetheless. Finally we have the famous G3 ending where all three performed together. This particular set they ended with Rockin' in the Free World, Little Wing, and Voodoo Child (Slight Return). All guitarist performed exceptionally well. When it came to some of the climatic duels between the three it was obvious that Satriani was outgunned while he kept using his "Mystical Potato" tapping trick against some of Vai and Malmsteen's more advanced licks. Malmsteen's vocals on Voodoo Child were closer to Hendrix than Vai or Satriani could have done. Some of you had mentioned that the video quality was poor on your copies and I don't know why. Unless of course you are a cheap bastard and you downloaded it from Limewire then it would make sense. I own a copy of the original DVD released by Epic and the video as well as the audio are amazing and it looks comparable to HD. My thoughts on the best G3 line-up would be: 1. Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Marty Friedman 2. Steve Vai, Michael Angelo Batio, Rusty cooley The ultimate would be: Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Angelo Batio, Rusty Cooley Wouldn't be G3 since Vai and Satriani have been excluded though but it would be cool anyway.