G3 Live In Tokyo [DVD] review by G3

• Released: Oct 25, 2005
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
G3: G3 Live In Tokyo [DVD]

The sound was just crystal-clear. I could pick up every note, every harmonic and every dive played during the whole show. I was very thankful that the sound was remastered, seeing as I've heard fairly bad things about the sound on the G3 tour (too much volume on a clean channel, for example). But beginning to end, the sound was pure, and that's the most I think I could ask for.

Content — 10
This is the live video footage from the G3 concert featuring John Petrucci, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani playing their own mind-blowing sets, followed by the infamous G3 jam. Petrucci kicked off the show with some solo material, playing "Glasgow Kiss" and "Damage Control." He was then followed by the oh so charismatic Steve Vai, opening with the classic "The Audience Is Listening," followed by two songs off his new album, "Building The Church" and "Km-Pee-Du-Wee." This set was followed by Joe Satriani, coming out on stage playing "Up In Flames." He rounded up by playing "Searching" and "War." Now, this was followed by the G3 jam, featuring Jimi Hendrix's "Foxey Lady," ZZ Top's "La Grange" and Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water." I was more than satisfied with this set, I was practically in shred-heaven for the whole 108 minutes it was on. And the extras were just amazing. Petrucci, Vai and Satriani lend their voices to do some audio commentary on the footage. Not only was it playfully funny, but it really showed you what goes on at G3. And probably my favorite bonus was the soundcheck.

Production Quality — 9
The production quality was top notch. Interactive menus and clear pictures were definitely a plus for me, being easily amused. I felt like I was at the concert at times, sitting in my Lay-Z-Boy recliner, drinking lemonade and following along on my cheap knock-off guitar. And perhaps the best part about the filming was that you got up close to the guitarists, seeing where their fingers flew from note to note and observing their amazing stage personas. I could have done without the widescreen format, but that's just me.

This DVD was just pure nirvana for me. I could not get out of my chair as I watched this. I just sat there, awe-struck by the talent that had been collected into one little DVD and cellophane packaged just for my enjoyment. I could not hate one minute of this whole concert. The talent that night could only be rivaled by the comradary and the humorous antics that went on that night. From Petrucci's little bit with his backup band to Vai and Sheehan's antics to Satriani's minute or so of speaking fluent Japanese until he decided to speak English to the final jam of the night, it was pure gold. If I ever, ever lost this DVD or ruined it by playing it over and over and over night after night, I'd definitely run out and get it again (and for only $12.63 plus tax? Score) and most likely never let it out of my sight. So if you want a night of beautiful solos and crazy shredding, get this DVD. Go ahead, indulge yourself.