G3 Live In Tokyo [DVD] review by G3

• Released: Oct 25, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
G3: G3 Live In Tokyo [DVD]

I was simply amazed with this DVD! Before this, I had never heard any of Dream Theater's or John Petrucci's music so when he played Glasgow Kiss, I was blown away. I've heard Vai and Santriani's stuff before and have Eric Clapton's Crossroads dvd so I've seen Vai play a little but to see the amazing technical ability of both of them on stage was awe inspiring. It was great to see Santriani play live because I have admiried him ever since I started playing. To see three of the top shredders in the world was very insparational.

Content — 9
The DVD content only has the actual concert and some commentaries by Vai, Santriani, and Petrucci which is kind of a downside but the live concert makes up for it. Petrucci was first up and he played the incredible Glasgow Kiss and Damage Control. Vai was next playing The Audience Is Listening, the amazing and my personal favorite Building The Church, and Km-Pee-Du-Wee. Santriani played Up In Flames, Searching, and finally, War. The G3 Jam was really cool, there was a new shred spin on Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water, ZZ Top's La Grange, and Jimi Hendrix's Foxey Lady.

Production Quality — 8
By themselves, all three of them sounded great. Sound was clear, crisp, and dynamic. But when the G3 jam came around, Vai came up a little short. Both Petrucci and Santriani sounded great in the G3 jam but Vai sounded muffled and quiet. Not exactly high-grade sound but since it was a live concert, I can dismiss it but not with out giving production quality an 8.

You cannot compare any of the G3 shredders (past G3's included) as they all have their own playing approaches and styles, I really want to get all the G3 DVDs to have an "Ultimate Shred Concert Collection." The most impressive thing is the G3 jam, with all three of them onstage adding their own little flare to real rock classics. There is only one thing I hate about this dvd and that is Vai's poor sound in the G3 jam. If this were stolen/damaged/whatever I would definately buy it again along with any other G3 DVD at the store. In conclusion, I have only three words about this DVD, it kicks ass!

Kutanmoogle
    I believe you mean Satriani's poor sound in the jam at the end. Satch is the bald dude playing various Ibanez guitars. Vai's the weird dude playing only Ibanez JEMs. Petrucci's the other guy playing a Musicman (I think).