G3 Live In Tokyo [DVD] Review

artist: G3 date: 07/12/2006 category: compact discs
G3: G3 Live In Tokyo [DVD]
Release Date: October 25, 2005
This DVD is an excellent addition to anyones collection. The sound is great, the songs are a fresh addition to the live set, and the video is great too.
 Content: 9.3
 Production Quality: 9
 9.2
 9.5
 8.8
G3 Live In Tokyo [DVD] Reviewed by: Cobain-iac_90, on november 03, 2005

Sound: The sound was just crystal-clear. I could pick up every note, every harmonic and every dive played during the whole show. I was very thankful that the sound was remastered, seeing as I've heard fairly bad things about the sound on the G3 tour (too much volume on a clean channel, for example). But beginning to end, the sound was pure, and that's the most I think I could ask for. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD was just pure nirvana for me. I could not get out of my chair as I watched this. I just sat there, awe-struck by the talent that had been collected into one little DVD and cellophane packaged just for my enjoyment. I could not hate one minute of this whole concert. The talent that night could only be rivaled by the comradary and the humorous antics that went on that night. From Petrucci's little bit with his backup band to Vai and Sheehan's antics to Satriani's minute or so of speaking fluent Japanese until he decided to speak English to the final jam of the night, it was pure gold. If I ever, ever lost this DVD or ruined it by playing it over and over and over night after night, I'd definitely run out and get it again (and for only $12.63 plus tax? Score) and most likely never let it out of my sight. So if you want a night of beautiful solos and crazy shredding, get this DVD. Go ahead, indulge yourself. // 10

G3 Live In Tokyo [DVD] Reviewed by: guitarcaw, on november 09, 2005

Sound: I was simply amazed with this DVD! Before this, I had never heard any of Dream Theater's or John Petrucci's music so when he played Glasgow Kiss, I was blown away. I've heard Vai and Santriani's stuff before and have Eric Clapton's Crossroads dvd so I've seen Vai play a little but to see the amazing technical ability of both of them on stage was awe inspiring. It was great to see Santriani play live because I have admiried him ever since I started playing. To see three of the top shredders in the world was very insparational. // 10

Overall Impression: You cannot compare any of the G3 shredders (past G3's included) as they all have their own playing approaches and styles, I really want to get all the G3 DVDs to have an "Ultimate Shred Concert Collection." The most impressive thing is the G3 jam, with all three of them onstage adding their own little flare to real rock classics. There is only one thing I hate about this dvd and that is Vai's poor sound in the G3 jam. If this were stolen/damaged/whatever I would definately buy it again along with any other G3 DVD at the store. In conclusion, I have only three words about this DVD, it kicks ass! // 10

G3 Live In Tokyo [DVD] Reviewed by: Hendrix1970, on july 12, 2006

Sound: There are three different musicians performing on this DVD. John Petrucci is up first, then Steve Vai. Both of them are using Mesa Boogie amps and they get an amazing tone. Joe satriani uses his signature Peavey amps. Out of all three of them I was most impressed with John Petrucci. His songs are constantly evolving and his various guitar parts are very melodic and constantly run across the fretboard. I was least impressed with Steve Vai's set. He had the leats melodic sense and I know that its great all that he's done with guitar music thanks to the whammy bar but he abuses it too much. His overhand tapping sequence in 'Building The Church' was worth appreciation though. Satch's performance was of course pretty kickass especcially his song 'Searching'. That man never runs out of ideas. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good DVD for those into instrumental guitar music. The Jam session in the end is worth the purchase alone. If it were lost or stolen I would definitley buy it again because I still need a good source to steal guitar parts from. // 9

Comments