Death Is Birth review by Gallows

• Released: Dec 5, 2011
Gallows: Death Is Birth

This is Gallows' first release since Frank Carter, their original vocalist, left and was replaced by former Alexisonfire vocalist/guitarist Wade Macneil. Gallows prove that they were never just about Frank Carter here, with brilliant, catchy, yet heavy riffs that have always been key to Gallows. A lot of people (including the band themselves) have described this EP as going back to their roots, of the their raw debut "Orchestra Of Wolves". I half agree with this, as "Death Is Birth" is unquestionably raw and abrasive; however there is a gloomy element and clever songcraft that made their sophomore effort "Grey Britain" such a masterpiece.

Obviously Wade Macneil has some big shoes to fill, as Frank Carter was to many people (including myself) one of the greatest Frontmen ever, especially in the Punk/Hardcore realm. However Wade fills those shoes excellently, seemingly effortlessly. His voice, like Frank's, is very aggressive, but also melodic and easy to sing along to. He doesn't just replace Frank either, he brings a new American sounding vibe (I know he's from Canada, American is just a better way to describe it) to their initial bleak and British sound. The lyrics are excellent as well, which are angry and depressing, but also kind of fun. Take opener "Mondo Chaos" "Hey! You say f--ck the world, I say it's already f--cked!", is really quite enjoyable to listen to if you ask me, and should create big sing alongs at their gigs.

This EP is what Gallows fans can use to find out if the new Gallows line up is still as good as the last one, and if you ask me, they're still one of the best bands going. There are people who will listen to this, be dissatisfied and not give any future Gallows material a chance, but remember this is just an EP, songs that the band just rocked out and put on a record, they'll release greater things. That said though, if this EP that was written and recorded in a short amount of time, and I'm still listening to it on a regular basis months after it was released; which tells me that the future of Gallows isn't merely in safe hands, it's in talented and devastating fists. My two favorite songs out of the four songs, would be "Mondo Chaos" for it's groove injected riffage and "True Colors", which manages to punch the listener in the face, and get across and important message in the space of 30-40 seconds.

What's a genre?
    I do like Frank slightly more, and think I always will do, but I do think they're still awesome with Wade, and can't wait to hear what they come out with next
    Spay
    I love the Gallows sound, love it to death. But there's something about Wade that just doesn't gel with the bands sound in my opinion. Maybe I'm just way too acclimated to Frank monstrous voice laying over the great riffs. But I don't think I'll be able to enjoy any of the future efforts nearly as much as I enjoyed the ones with Frank.