Land Of The Free II review by Gamma Ray

• Released: Nov 19, 2007
Gamma Ray: Land Of The Free II

Killer riffs, amazing melodies, rippin' solos, fantastic lyrics, great production quality, and Kai's voice is still great. When you add all that together you get Gamma Ray, specifically Land of the free II. The spirtual "sequel" of the band's "Land of the free" from the 1990s. Don't expect anything totally new and different on this album though, it's a textbook example of 80s power metal.

The lyrics range from enviromental concern to an anti-religious view. The lyrics are to the point and easy to understand. They're not metaphorical nor can they be interpreted a multitude of different ways. Gamma Ray lets you know what they think loud and clear. However, this is a weakness as well. Because the lyrics don't make you think about what they could mean. You tend to dismiss them because there is no mystery to their meaning.

Gamma Ray is one of the few bands out there that consistently releases great albums. Although it's not perfect, land of the free II holds up well against anything they've done before. I'd argue it's better than Land of the free I. Proof that sequels can surpass the prequel. Sadly though, it's just a run of the mill power metal album in terms of rhythm and guitar solos. But the songwriting is top notch, so it's hardly even worth complaining about. Highlights of the album would be: Rain, Leaving Hell, Real World, and To Mother Earth. I got this album as a gift, and if it were lost or stolen, I'd definately buy it again. As this is truly a new Gamma Ray classic!