To The Metal review by Gamma Ray

• Released: Jan 29, 2010
Gamma Ray: To The Metal

German metal band Gamma Ray is back with a brand new pure metal album to blast through the stereos of any metal fan in the world. After gaining great success with Land of the Free II, Gamma Ray comes back to the classic heavy power metal created so long ago. The band has come back stronger than ever with the album To The Metal. The music put into this creation is very admirable with catchy melodies and even catchier riffs. Every chord change was thought of with great accuracy as to what sounds the best, rather than just making a song for a song. The keyboard lines were put to great use in the song Deadlands, which then turns into a very remarkable song with head-banging drum beats that bring the listener awe-struck immediately. The keyboards also allow for a great use of melodies to be further established into the song. Enough with the catchy melodies though, and take it to songs such as Time To Live, or Shine Forever. These songs are purely riff driven with heavy distortion and fast riffs that make any guitar player want to pick up the guitar automatically. Their even appear to be softer songs in this album, these include Empathy and No Need To Cry, which both sound very ballad like.

Hansen and Richter combine their ideas perfectly yet again, like every album. They play in sync perfectly, like any other great guitar duo, but better. They even play two different riffs altogether as seen on Shine Forever, where one guitar is playing the main and lead riff, while the other is playing a more simplified version of it. This give the listener a more interesting appeal and this is why Gamma Ray has to be the catchiest, if not best Power Metal band on the scene today. Solos are extensive and perfectly executed, as seen in probably the best solo on the album, Mother Angel.

Vocals are done to a great extent by Kai Hansen, with many different styles thrown into the album. No Need To Cry reminded me of a better Axl Rose in the song Don't Cry. Certain vocal styles remind the listener of King Diamond and his ecstatic vocal abilities. Sometimes Hansen even sounds like Stratovarius lead singer Timo Kotipelto. Lyrically all songs are beautiful with songs of regret, the angels, and overall a happier tone to the lyrics then the past couple albums. To The Metal is a song about the genre of metal, as the title of the album and song hint at.

Gamma Ray has been critically acclaimed around the world, and now the praise is just about to contort to higher levels than before. Every song on To The Metal is a creation that emancipates itself from any other song on the album. The flow from song to song is perfect, and the listener never gets bored of any song, no matter when or what time it is. 2010 has started with a hopeful look into the this year's metal with Gamma Ray already soaring above expectations, and straight to the metal.

Chronologo
    braskyman1 wrote: DroogieSteve wrote: Thnder1nYourEar wrote: Not written very well, but I'll still check out the album. I remember Gamma Ray along with the likes of Kamelot, Hammerfall, and Blind Guardian. Pretty pumped on a metal album about metal!! Crazy person. Kamelot are far superior to any of those bands. Absolutely correct. I guess it IS opinion, but really, the singers' talents between Gamma Ray and Kamelot really don't match up at all. Same goes for Blind Guardian and Hammerfall. I like Hammerfall quite a bit, but I realize their singer isn't that talented. Whoever writes their songs is talented though, and they perform well. I don't like Blind Guardian at all. Just my opinion. And by the way, UG Team needs to check their grammar.
    poor statement based only on the vocal range...
    gorczynskir1
    I think there solos are the best part of this album there is some awsome guitar work between Kai and Henjo
    braskyman1
    braskyman1
    I've also never been a fan of Symphony X. Their music just makes me want to wear ear plugs, just like Blind Guardian. Manowarrior, how can you possibly put Kamelot on the bottom of that list? Although Kamelot is kind of acquired taste, they still rock way more than Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Symphony X, Dragonforce (ewww...) or any other band you want to throw into this conversation.
    gtcspider
    Land of the Free II is soooo much better than To the Metal. There's no songs in the new album that can compare to Into the Storm, Rain, Leaving Hell, Insurrection or Hear me calling. I was expecting a better album, but it's bad.
    link no1
    sombody mentioned dragonforce...you are a dick (no opinion, the truth) but now onto an opinion this review was written so bad that i did'nt even bother to read it all as it was begining to make my mind melt i will check out the album, but from the fact i like gamma ray, not from this review
    Novacane...
    Hit me like a gamma ray Standing in a hurricane And I'm pulling Out thorns Smokestack lightning Out my window I want to know What I've lost today
    MaxTrenkle
    Whoever produced the album should be fired. It's awesome material, but it got butchered. Hahahaha, they should release a 'Remastered' version in 2011 =]
    JazzDeath
    Lol blind guardian rapes all those bands, you people smoke entirely too much crack - not a single one of those bands has achieved nearly as much as blind guardian, sorry.
    krvolok
    TheChosen1One
    krvolok wrote: Though I am not the biggest fan of power I must say that Blind Guardian is the best band in the genre,And anyone that says otherwise most probably has not heard a single Blind Guardian song in his/her life
    Actually, you're wrong. Thats YOUR opinion of whats the best. Don't go telling us that band X is the best. I think Gamma Ray is untouchable in power metal, but thats my opinion. Learn what an opinion is please... versus fact.
    OzzO777
    They really kicked ass with this album!!! But why the article says that song "Empathy" is like a ballad. It's actually very heavy song, although it has a short ballad intro.
    Haunt3dAng3l
    Manowarrior wrote: DroogieSteve wrote: Thnder1nYourEar wrote: Not written very well, but I'll still check out the album. I remember Gamma Ray along with the likes of Kamelot, Hammerfall, and Blind Guardian. Pretty pumped on a metal album about metal!! Crazy person. Kamelot are far superior to any of those bands. Gamma Ray >>>>> Blind Guardian >>>>> Hammerfall >> Kamelot
    Honestly I've always thought Blind Guardian is the most over rated power metal band in history and I've heard all of Blind Guardian's albums. Although I would have to agree Kamelot is truly awesome.
    astrosaki
    This was written kinda poorly.. if it was a staff writer..can I have his job now? When it comes to power metal I don't like to compare whos greater than who. I love it all and different bands do different things differently. (yeah it makes complete sense) But I gotta agree metal songs/albums with "metal" in the title is kiinda corny.
    Thnder1nYourEar
    DroogieSteve
    Crazy person. Kamelot are far superior to any of those bands.
    strat07
    Balmazer
    Kamelot > than Blind Guardian?! just no. Kamelot is very good however.
    EpiExplorer
    strat07 wrote: Conception >>> Kamelot Read some stuff I'm totaly against artist making songs/albums with the world metal in the title. It's just plain stupid. Will give it a listen. Sadly Gama Ray didnt do anything good since Somewhere Out In Space
    It goes like this Symphony X > Masterplan > Blind Guardian > Kamelot > Dragonforce
    Skuzzmo
    Whoot! Always have pretty much enjoyed everything Gamma ray have put out..... Hansen and Co are very talented people, hope to see them live at some point.... Oh and btw, whoever was talking about blind guardian earlier I've gotta say they must be an accuired taste. I saw them live recently and I thought they were boring to the point of mind melting.....hmmm underwhelmed to the max.
    Manowarrior
    Gamma Ray >>>>> Blind Guardian >>>>> Hammerfall >> Kamelot
    megaironpriest
    strat07 : Conception >>> Kamelot Read some stuff I'm totaly against artist making songs/albums with the world metal in the title. It's just plain stupid.
    Dude, its metal. Almost every band like this has songs about how kickass metal is!!
    Chozodragon
    Except that Hammerfall existed because of Gamma Ray, and that Blind Guardian and Kamelot a have a sound of their very owns It's only released on Feb 1st here .. I'll get it =)
    Chozodragon
    strat07 wrote: I'm totaly against artist making songs/albums with the world metal in the title. It's just plain stupid.
    Don"t forget the "accelerating" meaning, like in "Pedal to the metal"
    henkka_potku
    Also, this review IS written really weirdly. It's like "This album is awesome and every song is perfect and everything is awesome" and the reviewer gives it an average of 8.3?!
    maximumrocker
    didnt know gamma ray came out with a new album this year ill have to listen to some of this =)
    ArtemR
    THIS IS GREAAT, I LIKE IT! power metal is ****ing yeeesss, I love gamma ray, old helloween, blind guardian, EVERYTHING! YYEEEEESS