En El Jardin Del Corazon Review

artist: Gandhi date: 10/15/2007 category: compact discs
Gandhi: En El Jardin Del Corazon
Release Date: 1997
Genres: Rock
This album reached high places in national radio charts with the song 'Quisieras'.
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
En El Jardin Del Corazon Reviewed by: UniverseZero, on october 15, 2007

Sound: Gandhi is a Costarican band, formed in the mid '90s, they released their first album "En el Jardin del Corazon" (In the Garden of the Heart) in 1997. This album is amazingly varied and eclectic, ranging from hard rock in songs like "Quisieras"(roughly translated to "You wish") and "Seca roja Reja" (Red Dry Gate) to reggae/latin influenced songs like "Matame" (Kill Me) and El invisible (The Invisible) and even really melodic soft arpeggiated guitars in "Descanso" (Rest). The first time you listen to the whole album you are simply amazed because the songs that circulate on the radio are very different to most of the album. The guitar work in this album is very good, you can listen to amazing jazzy solos and also heavy riffs, at the same time the bass usually plays very intricate lines that mix up perfectly with the drums. The keyboards add depth and fluency to some songs in which the singing is usually simpler. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. Verses that talk mainly about death and love give you an amazing array of feelings, the lyrics don't hold any clichs and seek different ways of telling the same things that many other authors have talked about before. The singer has a very unique voice, similar to Geddy Lee's voice (Rush) because of it's high pitch. The vocals of this album are very good, they make you wan to listen to them over and over. // 8

Overall Impression: This album has something that reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd, they have a repeating melody in some of their songs which is always nice for a slightly progressive idea on the depths of an album. As said before the vocals are a lot like Rush's. "El Jardin" (The Garden) is a song that holds a very soft arpeggios that get heavier and heavier, as the song advances distorted guitars can be heard, it ends with a guitar solo that would impress anyone because of its melodic characteristics. "Quisieras" (You wish) has a very good main riff that mixes with great lyrics. This song chorus is my favorite line of the whole CD "No me digas que no quisieras morir para saber lo que es vivir" (don't tell you don't wish to die to know what it is to live). The only thing I dislike about the album is the latin influence that some of the songs have, they make you think a lot about Santana and just brings down the hard rock wall that most of the CD shows. If the CD was stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again taking into accountance that I already have it saved as MP3 files on my computer, but if I didn't have the MP3s and it was stolen I would surely buy another copy. This album is one of the first real rock albums that has come out of Costa Rica (where I live), because of the album Gandhi are now considered musical icons and legends of the country. // 9

Comments