Raw review by Garett Spencley

Garett Spencley: Raw

As someone who doesn't normally listen to instrumental music, I was surprised at how easy, and fun, to listen to this record is. Weighing in at 12 songs and minutes long, Raw is a journey through musical genres, taking in everything from jazz to, dare I say it, shred. The guitar is obviously the weapon of choice in all the songs, although Spencley does open his mouth to sing on one song, Crystal Eyes. He also plays bass on the album, with drumming duties taken care of by Aaron Apter. The guitar solos are superb throughout, always full of emotion, always full of technical skill, but rarely even verging on wankery. This, in my opinion is due to Spencley's many influences, with the blues being especially prominent in many of the lead lines.

As said above, there is only one song on here with lyrics, yet that song is not far off being my favourite on the record. The lyrics are simplistic but meaningful, whilst his voice is very original sounding, and cool too. Best described as the love child of Michael Stipe and Kurt Cobain, with an almost punk edge to it, it makes for very good listening.

An unbelievably great guitar tone, combined with very powerful lead guitar to make this an album for all guitarists to enjoy. It makes for awesome background music, and I can certainly see it being something I'll put on while studying. My personal favourite songs are Night Out, Carissa's Lullaby and Crystal Eyes, and I love the sheer variety of the songs on this album. A must have.