Mana Review

Gas Giant: Mana
Release Date: Dec 20, 2005
Label: Electrohash
Genres: Rock
Gas Giant are an intensely powerful band that successfully blend the excitement of heavy rock's pioneering '60s/'70s days with the best of the new millennium crop of Stoner-psychedelic bands.
 4.9
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Mana Reviewed by: .artistic, on april 30, 2008

Sound: Honestly, Gas Giants sound is indescribable, you have to listen to some of their tracks to understand the whole concept behind all their songs. And even behind the whole Gas Gaint. One main thing is, that in all their songs you got rough guitars, a lot of classy and fuzzy effects and a great voice coming from Jesper. Their solos are one thing I love about Gas Giant, who ever can punch in your face with a 4 min solo? Right, Gas Giant can. But though it sounds like 3 guitars playing all those songs, there is only one guitar player who played over and over again during the recording step of the whole album. Jesper once said that their guitar player normaly plays all effects and all accords those "3" guitars play on the studio version whenever they are on stage. So you can guess how hard it has to be. Gas Giant really knows how to play very solid and fitting everything perfectly in a great way. // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrics often contain parts about loving and leaving a woman. As Jesper said he loves to sing about women, psychodelic stuff like aliens and his random life as it goes on right now. On the track "Orange Fender" he sings "I'm back and bloody again" which shows his past life of smoking weed all day long and not getting his life in a normal way. Very often you get the impression that Jesper wants to be alone in the nature, for example in the song "Green Valley" "I stay in the green valley, people. Learn how to fly like an eagle". He used his lyrics as a kind of "statement" to the whole world and to all people missunderstanding him. // 9

Overall Impression: My impression is a good one. Gas Giant just lets you fly away in space, in the desert and far away from everything else this world confronts you with. Although I don't read every single lyrics from their whole "Mana" album for 100 percent, I know that those lyrics I read mark out a lot of things going on in an everyday life. They just transform rock and psychodelic effects to a huge level of Stoner Rock or Doom Rock. // 10

Comments