First Spell review by Gehenna

• Released: Mar 1, 2004
Gehenna: First Spell

This is Gehenna's debut album. It came out in 2004, a time when black metal was starting to really take shape. They are considerably slower on this album than other black metal bands at the time, and mixed in some neat acoustic passages, reminiscent of Sayricon. They also used keyboards, Emperor was pretty much the only band at the time using keyboards a lot so Gehenna deserve credit somewhat for helping to introduce this to the black metal scene.

The lyrics are good, when I read them after listening to the album they described similar imagery to what I imagined when I heard the songs. Their singer has a very gravely voice which compliments haunting instrumental sound on this album. However the vocals remain the same for the entire album, perhaps they could have improved somewhat by changing them up.

First of all the album is short (26:47 over five tracks), if they had included two more tracks it would definitely be a better album. Gehenna here had a pretty unique sound compared to other bands. It is a great improvement on their demos which were released beforehand. My favourite songs on the album are The Shivering Voice of the Ghost, The Conquering of Hirsir, and Morning Star. Overall it's a very good Black Metal album and definitely one of my favourites in the Gehenna discography. I would buy it again if it were stolen/lost.

Jøhnny
    macho man wrote: I didn't write that... the person who put it up changed it.
    Really? Then UG fails big time...