Asshole Review

Gene Simmons: Asshole
Release Date: Jun 8, 2004
Label: Sanctuary
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
If you are entertained by music (and a Kiss fan would help), this is a good listen. Nothing memerable, just a good listen.
 6.4
 9.3
 3.4
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Asshole Reviewed by: Ace Frehley, on february 02, 2006

Sound: Gene Simmons is the bass player from Kiss as we all know. After many years from his 1st solo album in 1978, Gene decided to do a second one. This album is something very different from all the other Kiss records, cause he experienced this album with many different artist, such as: Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan and Prodigy. The reason that this album is very good is because there are many different types of music, for example the song "Sweet & Dirty Love" is a truly Rock'n'Roll song and differs a lot from "Weapons Of Mass Destruction" which in my opinnion it sounds like a thrash song but without the the screamings. The song "Asshole" which is also the title of the album it's a bit like "Good Charlotte" and "Blink 182" style but with a great guitar solo in it! Songs like "Waiting For The Morning Light" (written with Bob Dylan), "Now That You're Gone" and my favourite one "If I Had A Gun" are excellent ballads with nice music. "Whatever Turns You On, Turns Me On" this song is a bit freaky cause Gene put his whole family doing the backing vocals in the chorus and in the verses, nice song to hear not the greattest but nice. Now Gene had made some demos over the years with Kiss that had never shown up in any Kiss records, the song "Carnival Of Souls" was supposed to be in the KISS record "Carnival Of Souls" in 1997. The song "1000 Dreams" reminds of a "Beatles" song and takes back to the '60s. He also did a cover song from Prodigy called "Firestarter" and it's really cool, I liked it more than the original. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very nice songs like "Waiting For The Morning Light," "Now That You're Gone" and "Beautiful" show that he has talent in his lyrics. The song "Asshole" talks about Gene just dissing an asshole. "Black Tongue" I don't know if this song has to do something with Gene, but it gives a message of how you're attitude should be when people say bad things to you. Gene has an excellent voice in my opinnion and it's excellent for rock music! // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs from the album are: Sweet & Dirty Love, Firestarter, If I Had A Gun, Waiting For The Morning Light, Asshole. I love the way he is playing his bass in his songs and I like the way he is singing them. What I hate about it is that he used demos to fill the album. Overall this is an excellent album and can easily be heard many times if it was stolen or lost I'd buy it again! // 9

Comments