Generation Beautiful Live review by Generation Beautiful

• Released: Jan 11, 2007
Generation Beautiful: Generation Beautiful Live

Generation Beautiful's Live album, on Interline Records, has huge power rock landscapes and neo-classical metal levers which showcase the dynamic vocal timbres of lead singer Shelby Goff and the modern rock whiplash action of band mates Anthony Focx (guitar), Fred Nilsson (guitar), Jamie Zimlin (bass), and Jerry Vidal (drums). The band's debut album is a compilation of live recordings of original songs which cover the gamut of modern rock passages, prog-rock symphonies and power metal revivalism. There are zones of Goth-rock energies on tracks like This Is Me and Freedom which platform Goff's vocal rises and convey an AFI-chromatics. Robust nu metal tunes like Borrowed Time and Breathe rumble with a Trapt-persuasive throttle, while tracks like Father and Sweet Caroline are more softly tossed. The segment of vocal rapping on the bridge for Everything gives Goff a chance to explore new ground in her vocal textures. The plurality of the bass pulls produce a great undercurrent while morphed by seething guitar tones and symphonic-heightened choruses. The uninhibited vocals and drums kicks hit hard like Flyleaf while balancing between darkness and beauty. The songs are polished with a melodic overlay and punch with a hammer fist.

Many of the songs are like diary entrees, documenting the changes that relationships go through whether it's riding the wave until it dies down or trying to stir up vitality for it like in the song Father when Goff sings, It's not always easy being me/Not every moment of this life is what it seems to be. I just want to love you/Make it through the night maybe we can/We can make it out it alive/If I could get through the day/Father forgive me/Forgive me/I don't want to feel this way. The lyrics have a generality to them so they can apply to other people's experiences, although Goff's vocals are excellent in bringing out emotions. For her, the words have a very specific meaning.

There's strength in Generation Beautiful's power pop metal and neo-classical lifts and emotion in their prog-metal symphonies. They bring excitement to an old style of electric guitars laden with Faith No More curves and give it a shot of Cold's clubbing and clinching. The songs are all striking, and with them done live, the listening experience is even more enhanced.

Musicislife539
    lol apparently nobody likes this band. i thought this was the rise against dvd "generation lost". but shes kinda hot