Foxtrot review by Genesis

• Released: Sep 30, 1972
Genesis: Foxtrot

Though not my favourite Genesis album, this was generally regarded as Genesis' finest hour. This album is a classic and contains the masterpiece 'Supper's Ready' which stands at 22 minutes long and takes up most of the second side of the album. Other tracks include the majestic 'Watcher Of The Skies' and 'Get 'Em Out By Friday', a grim vision of the future. The music is typical prog-rock and the cover art by Paul Whitehead reflects the diversity of the music within.

All songs on this album were sung by Peter Gabriel, and most of the lyrics were also written by him. Some of the lyrics to Supper's Ready were based on the experiences of Gabriel and his wife and other parts of Supper's Ready are based on the book of Revelations. The lyrics to 'Can-Utility And The Coastliners' are based around the story of King Cnut. The lyrical content of Genesis albums is without excption excellent and this album is no exception. Horizons, however, is a classical guitar piece written and performed by Steve Hackett and although it has no lyrics, it is one of the best points of the album.

Overall, this is a fine album. It is not the best Genesis album in my opinion but it is possibly their creative peak and contains more passion than the 1973 follow-up 'Selling England By The Pound.' Supper's Ready and Can-Utility And The Coastliners are the standout tracks whereas 'Time Table' is by far the weakest track. Overall, a great album.

wooda
    Nahh... Supper's ready and Watcher of the skies, of course the rest of the album is also great... can't beat old genesis...
    schizoid man77
    Suppers ready is arguably the greatst song ever written, but I fing watcher of the skies and get'em out by friday kinda dull
    xberserkx
    as you all said, supper's ready is amazing. one of my fav prog epics ever. The album itself is excellent as well, I enjoy every song on it
    IDon'tLoveYou
    I think that Supper's Ready, Get 'Em Out By Friday and Watcher Of The Skies were the best on this album, but I have quite a soft Sport For Time Table.
    fantomas2599
    KileManA7X wrote: I can't find this album anywhere!
    Well i guess your going to have to do some illeagel downloading then..
    Penguin_army
    I have the box to this album, but the CD went walkies. Get Em Out By Friday is a bit of a Battle Of Epping Forest. More interested in telling a story than actually writing a song. Suppers Ready is the Bee's Cheese though! Blue Cheese at that.
    CannonsAhoy
    Watcher of the skies and Supper's Ready are the best tracks, but the other ones are awesome as well. Great album.