Board Up The House review by Genghis Tron

• Released: Feb 19, 2008
Genghis Tron: Board Up The House

"Board Up The House" is the second full length album released by this New York trio of musical madmen, and is easily a contender for one of the top albums of 2008. The first song, the title track "Board Up the House", sets the mood perfectly for what is about to unfold in this 43 minute masterpiece. From the steady build up of the intro, to the unrelenting verses, to the dream-like bridge, to the semi-mellow outro, this song is one of the top tracks on the album. It also gives you a taste of the base sound of the other tracks. Also, while this band may be a little harder to classify, their main style influences are easily recognizable. Their mix of grind and electronic stylings combine to be one of the hardest bands to explain, but one of the easiest to get into. Overall, this is one amazing album musically, and you don't have to be a fan of grind to enjoy it.

The lyrics are belted out by vocalist/keyboardist Mookie Singerman, who is also backed up by fellow keyboardist Michael Sochynsky, and neither disappoints. With overall themes of desperation, lonliness, isolation, and fear, the album leans towards the darker side, in terms of lyrical content. Mookie has gone on record as to saying that he gained influence for the lyrics from one of his biggest fears of "being stuck inside my house while everything goes haywire outside", and that he thinks it "it stems from a combination of being Jewish, having read the Anne Frank diaries at a really young age, and watching too many zombie movies." The lyrics also match up very nicely with the music, but in ways that would be expected, ie heavy when something disastrous is happening, slower when things are calmer, etc. The vocal skills of both Mookie and Michael are top notch, as well, matching the feel of the album almost perfectly. Overall, this is a very strong album lyrically and vocally.

In conclusion, this is a must-have. While the whole album is one of the best I've ever heard, "Board Up The House", "Things Don't Look Good", "City On A Hill", "Colony Collapse" and "The Feast" all stand out, and never really seems to lose their luster like some tracks do, which comes to why I love this album so much. The replay value. I've set the album on repeat many times, and it's never worn on me, even when I listen to it three straight times or more. It is simply one of the most explosive and stunning albums in recent memory, and definitely of 2008, so far. Definitely give this album your time, and relish in, what will become, one of the greatest bands of this generation.

JRowe3388
    This band is so unique. I love this stuff. My favorite track is I Wont Come Back Alive
    plague_runner
    fallenangel20
    [quote=plague_runner] Love this band....but this site has their genre all wrong...they're Electronic and Grindcore...also known as cybergrind.[/quote] Yeah, I noticed that, as well, but it doesn't bother me too much. If people actually read the review, then they'll see I wrote "grind and electronic" and whatnot. =P So it's no biggie for me. =]