Acquiring The Taste review by Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant: Acquiring The Taste

Gentle Giant is one of progressive rocks most enduring and unique bands, specializing in medieval rock. On Acquiring the Taste, Gentle Giant has much control and structure, but still manages to jam it out. With the addition of vibes, trumpet, strings and flutes, the music is very ornate, atmospheric and intertwines very well with the vocal chants and harmonies, creating moods that sweep you away. Another thing that makes this album nice is the use of synthesizers. The synths aren't used as most players do, making them sound like orchestras, but as actually synthesizers, and it really adds to the music. With the addition their guitarists, the music becomes a weaved trip through a plethora of moods.

The lyrics go very well with the music. I cannot imagine the lyrics being replaced or rewritten. Although the lyrics are good, the actual vocals seem to be more important than the lyrics, meaning the harmonies and chants are what add so much to the music, not the actual words. The music and vocals are the lyrics, making the lyrics not so important. But the way the singers sing and how it compliments the music, the lyrics never detract from the album.

If you are a fan of King Crimson or the Soft Machine, this album may be one you want to check out. The most impressive songs are Pantagruels Nativity (track 1), The Edge of Twilight (track 2), The House, The Room, The Street (track 3), and Wreck (track 5), although all the songs are impressive. I cannot say there is anything I do not like about this album. Even the title track, being a minute and a half collection of weirdness, is good. You'll have a hard time finding this album, but it's a good find and introduction to Gentle Giant.

vanshaya
    nailsarecruel
    Good review for a great album. Although I'm torn between Free Hand, Octopus and Three Friends for Gentle Giant's best album, the "impressive tracks" identified in the review make Acquiring the Taste a very interesting listen. This is definitely recommended for prog heads.
    shwilly
    vanshaya wrote: Interesting. Should check this out. I have three friends, its a pretty interesting album.
    Instead of doing that perhaps you should get out more and see if you can make some more friends
    ShoeFaceBass
    I prefer Octopus to this album but it's still a darn good record. Good review aswell!
    randymeeks81
    i have four friends. suck on that.