Let's Work Together Live Review

George: Let's Work Together Live
Release Date: 1995
Label: EMI America
Genres: Slide Guitar Blues, Rock & Roll, Blues-Rock, Boogie Rock, Album Rock
There are good moments scattered throughout the record, but it never pulls together into a cohesive album.
 8.4
 6.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Let's Work Together Live Reviewed by: GraceKim, on october 31, 2006

Sound: A fine blues guitarist from Delaware. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. This guy really is from the state of Delaware; Newark, Delaware to be exact, a small college town in the north. And he's a fine blues guitarist. Thorogood is a true blues musician, every song, every lick inspired by the blues. He never strayed. In his music you hear the influence of greats like John Lee Hooker, Elmore James and Muddy Waters, but Thorogood plays it in his own energetic style. He won't be remembered as a great technician. SRV or Albert King could pick circles around him upside down with their eyes closed and being tickled at the same time. But Lonesome George has created a distinct innovative modern blues style that hopefully will influence many others. A must add that I just love the sound of that Gibson ES-137. It has a very distinctive sound that you just can't get with most other guitars, and that sound is a perfect complement to the blues as Lonesome George so beautifully demonstrates. // 10

Lyrics: Like a lot of blues, the lyrics aren't very deep. This CD includes a lot of covers of songs by people like Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters. The CD also has some original material Get a Haircut (and get a real job), "If You Don't Start Drinkin', I'm Gonna Leave". A lot of Thorogood songs include themes about consuming alcoholic beverages sometimes in large quantities. // 5

Overall Impression: More than a quarter century ago, I heard that a guy with a cool sounding name would be playing at The Bayou, a club in Georgetown, DC: George Thorogood And The Destroyers. The performance was to be broadcast live on the radio. So I listened in. When I tuned in, he was just getting into One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer. It was a type of music the ten year old city boy (me) had never heard before: blues! That was an awesome concert. Years later I saw him play at a University of Delaware dorm: a free concert at the location of the first paying gig he ever had. He rocked the house that night. Unfortunately, this CD does not capture those nights. The guitar is not loud enough. It's almost drowned out by the bass and drums. And in a live performance by a great blues guitarist one might expect him to get medievel with that ES-137 and crank out some awesome riffs with the slide going up and down the neck until you need to sit down. But there were no awesome riffs. I didn't feel dizzy. Almost never is a blues artist's studio work better than his live performances. In this case though I have to say that I am disappointed with this live CD. The guy is a fantastic blues guitarist, and with that ES-137 and a slide he can make my graying head spin. But this CD just does not capture the spirit. It's a real let down. // 5

Comments