All Things Must Pass review by George Harrison

• Released: Nov 27, 1970
George Harrison: All Things Must Pass

If you haven't heard this album and you're a Beatles fan, put it on your list. This is an album that is as brilliant and complete as any album the Beatles ever put out, and is one of the best post-Beatles albums any of the Fab Four ever did. It was a hit when it was released and was Harrison's breakout album as a songwriter. It also showed he could write as well as Lennon and McCartney and possibly be more emotional.

Nothing has to be said. George Harrison was a genius as writing clever lyrics and had an amazing voice. This is his writing at it's peak.

This is an album with consistently stunning songs one after the other. 01. I'd Have You Anytime - a very simple bluesy song to kick the album off. Bob Dylan co-wrote it. The guitar playing will almost woo you to sleep. 02. My Sweet Lord - if you have not heard this song, you've been living on Mars. This was a #1 hit when it came out. It's buildup and looooong fade out is pure genius. It gives Hey Jude a run for its money. With repeated listenings, you are rewarded. 03. Wah Wah - one heck of a rockin' song. If this doesn't make your head bob, you might be paralyzed. 04. Isn't It A Pity - this is a Harrison classic. 05. What Is Life - I love this song. Anyone who has seen Goodfellas has heard this song. It's poppy, it's upbeat, and the wall-of-sound makes it very enjoyable. 06. If Not For You - Bob Dylan wrote this song but it is fit perfectly for Harrison. Very calming. 07. Behind That Locked Door - another calming song that is almost meditative. So many emotions from this song. 08. Let It Down - I love the loud-as-hell choruses juxtaposed against the soft tension-building verses. Mixes up the album with a little kick. 09. Run Of The Mill - the lyrics have a great message, and is a personal favorite of mine on the album 10. Beware Of Darkness - this is a brilliant minor sounding song with a nice guitar solo. This was performed at Bangladesh. I prefer the version on that album, but this one is very similar. 11. Apple Scruffs - a tribute to the fans always outside of the Apple recording studio. Very upbeat. Not many people like this song but I love it. 12. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp - this is probably my favorite song on the album. The heavily reverbed guitar with a very prominent piano gives a very nice sound. This starts a streak of brilliant songs on the album. 13. Awaiting On You All - this is another upbeat song in the vein of Apple Scruffs, but this time with a religous topic. Very gospel sounding. 14. All Things Must Pass - this probably has the best lyrics on the album. The music is very slow. It is spiritual, reflective, and meditative. Brilliant. 16. I Dig Love - sounds like a John Lennon song! I love the way this song was done. It's very catchy! 17. Art Of Dying - this one will make you want to dance. 18. Isn't It A Pity (version 2) - this isn't as haunting as the first version, but I prefer it much more. It is more reflective and less dirgy. 19. Hear Me Lord - I love the piano on this song, as well as a haunting chord progression in the chorus. If you were to hear a cry out for help in a song, this is what you would hear.

Mike Warfield
    This album is a testimonial as to how much a threat, musically, George really was to Team: Lennon and McCartney.
    maguri
    I love this album too, but I think it suffers from the dated production. Many of the songs are smothered in tons of reverb which really takes away much of the impact (Wah Wah, What is Life and Let it Down are the worst examples, but many others, too, could sound much tighter without the excessive reverb, I think). Harrison himself thought about giving it a remix but then sadly just released a remastered version in 2000 (see the liner notes). Watching the 2011 documentary "Living in the Material World" you can hear what these songs could really sound like. For the 5.1 surround version the songs featured in the movie have been given a remix, which can be heard on the stereo version too. The effect is absolutely overwhelming: they are right there! I wish a remix of the whole album will be released soon. This fantastic album deserves it!
    benthegrunge
    that's a very relevant point which im surprised wasn't made in the reviews. for me it isn't a problem as i like the fact it feels so retro